coloring sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
im wanting to die my sails black and red what type of die will work on dacron sails ( im assuming there dacron )?????

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Nothing will dye Dacron

Dacron is solution dyed .... the die is added to the fiber chemicals before extrustion. There are some processes that can dye man-made fibers but that takes very sophisticated equipment (Thermosoling, etc.) Once dacron becomes a fiber it cannot be dyed and if you attempt to 'vat' dye it the color will not be 'fast' and will spread all over everything else in its proximity. Only 'natural' fibers cotton, wool, can be dyed by a 'consumer'.

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Rich is probably right, but you can PAINT

your sails. There was a 36' boat near here that had an old set of delivery dacron sails that were painted to resemble tie-dyeing. It really looked strange, but she liked them. However, I don't have a clue what she painted them with, however. Not that I recommend it, but if you want to have colored sails, go for it. Steve Alchemist

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Dacron brand name polyester has a great affinity

for oil borne stains. If you get some tung oil, a tube of artists oil paint and a bucket to mix it in you can make stain in any color you want. Start with equal amounts of oil and pigment and mix until smooth, add more oil and continue mixing. A little of this will go a long ways. For a sail I would probably apply it with a sprayer.

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
what if i wash them

we're in the desert if i oil them the dirt will stick than i will have to wash them

B

Bill

Call your local loft...

Try calling your local sail loft. They'll tell you... The VOR boats all had painted sails, find out what they used. B

RickS

Jan 28, 2007
Jeanneau 39i-P Milwaukee, WI
Painted Sails

I know someone who painted a mural on his old sail. He said the paint will not last because the dacron isimpregnated with chemicals to resist water and weather and have a slippery smooth finish. Without an etch for the paint/dye to adhere, it will eventually wash off. You can check his mural out in the Sailing magazine anniversary edition...

Status
Not open for further replies.