Color Brightening of Sunbrella Fabric?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Does anyone know what, if anything, can be done to brighten up the original color of a Sunbrella fabric? I'm adding a new bimini and mainsail cover, but the same color fabric on the two-yr old dodger has faded enough so there's a clear difference in color brightness. Can the dodger [safely] be brightened up?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Does anyone know what, if anything, can be done to brighten up the original color of a Sunbrella fabric? I'm adding a new bimini and mainsail cover, but the same color fabric on the two-yr old dodger has faded enough so there's a clear difference in color brightness. Can the dodger [safely] be brightened up?
Call the EPA and complain.. :D The acrylics today are not what they were 20 years ago, due to EPA regs, and they now fade considerably faster. There is really nothing that can be done other than waiting for the new to fade to the same level as the old..

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I would try some Rit Dye on a small sample. I used to dye whole wedding dresses in a bath tub of Rit. Just make sure you rinse well so color does not come off. I'm not sure if the water proofing will interfere. If that doesn't work there are some pretty good fabric color sprays.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I would try some Rit Dye on a small sample. I used to dye whole wedding dresses in a bath tub of Rit. Just make sure you rinse well so color does not come off. I'm not sure if the water proofing will interfere. If that doesn't work there are some pretty good fabric color sprays.
You can't dye Sunbrella it is a "solution dyed" product. This essentially means the color is in the acrylic before it is even spun into thread.......

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
It may not be that far off after it is washed and re-treated with 303 Fabric Guard.

Go to Sunbrella's website for cleaning/treating instructions.

Jan 6, 2010
I have prayed for years for a better fabric than Sh*tbrella. It has no wear resistant strength, shrinks & loses it water repellant quickly. Oh, what joy to buying Scotch Guard to reapply waterproofing to stop having rain drip thru your bimini.

In 1990, I started using a synthetic material. I first saw window coverings on a big yacht using a synthetic fabric. My latest bimini is a synthetic awning material. It's a laminate product non-stretch. You can see the non-rip threading pattern used.

Rather then redoing sunbrella every 4 years, I now get 7+ years with the synthetic. An example of this is the different choices of polyester, which is one of the most popular fabric choices. The polyester material is available with an acrylic coating, vinyl laminate, or PVC coating. The best feature is non-stretch & completely waterproof. There's nothing worse than seeing a sagged out sunbrella bimini with all the stretch lines showing. It really takes away from the overall look of the boat. Make sure you ask for the non-stretch type.

CR

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks. I don't know why I keep buying the stuff looking around at the yachts in the marina neighborhood, most with faded out "canvas"; frankly, it's unsightly, as you say. It fades out gradually so you don't notice it much until getting some new material installed close by, then it really shows up. If we could just "fix" this problem along with the crazing of the acryllic of port lights and hatches, "appearance points" could go up dramatically!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Captain Ron, have you tried Weathermax 80? http://leesailcovers.com/Weathermax80.php

I bought a deck bag, tiller cover, and outboard cover from Lee Sail Covers. I'm wishing my main cover was from them as well, because then it would all match. The Weathermax is close, but not the same color as the Pacific blue of my old Sunbrella main cover. (That cover seems a bit darker, I assume stained with bird crap that isn't washing out well.) Since I went to the trouble of re-sewing the main cover with V-69 thread last season, I just can't justify the cost of a new cover simply because it'll match better :D

Anyway, I have no idea how well the Weathermax will last. It's supposed to be more waterproof, abrasion resistant, and dimensionally stable than Sunbrella. I guess I'll see in another 5 years or so! :yeah:

I have prayed for years for a better fabric than Sh*tbrella. It has no wear resistant strength, shrinks & loses it water repellant quickly. Oh, what joy to buying Scotch Guard to reapply waterproofing to stop having rain drip thru your bimini.

CR

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There are Sunbrella colors that are popular, and there are Sunbrella colors that are sold as more "long lasting", but that does mean they will not fade. The dark colors are reported to "last longer", but that is not the same as "will not fade". They will fade more, because they can. Scotch Guard is useless for exterior canvas, 303 works, but will not change, or restore color. Nothing will.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I hate to throw a reminder like this out there, but old age is old age, no matter what it relates to... you can never make it young again....

you can throw a bit of fabric paint at it.. it bonds well with the material, and make it look younger for a short while, but like grecian formula 16, it will only fade out quickly again and its back to being old....;)