Cold weather sailing

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Out fun sailing today, at the start it was 39F and blowing 18 knots. Later 52f and blowing 12. With Keith and I were 3 of the prettiest sailors you’ll ever meet. Jeanne driving, Jodi and Cindy trimming jib. Keith did main. I just coached and drank. We only came in because we ran out of booze. What a great day.

Who else is still sailing in the COLD?

51AD05C1-F79C-418F-B06F-C71F42EBF5AC.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
That clear, crisp, cool looking, breezy day looked like here, today. 15Kts. 85F. Gotta love it. :beer:

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like fun. We had our last sail of the season Saturday. We were just going to top off the fuel tank but with winds in the teens it was too nice to pass up. Sunday it was gusting close to 30 so we winterized everything. Until next year...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Went to the boat, been 3 weeks but 15 gusting to 20 was too much for just me by myself. Cleaned her and puttered around the cabin instead.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@Jackdaw You Minnesotans just know how to have fun! My marina closes on Oct 15. Second Star is snugly wrapped in her winter cover.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
October has been a lion on the coast of Maine. Colder and windier than usual. Yesterday I enjoyed 20 knots, gusting to 30, nearly on the nose to get home. It was forecast, my wife at home (warm and dry), would remind me.
30 knot port.jpg

Air temps in the 40's in that wind, you need a cautious approach. I watched a smaller boat, deeply reefed, try to sail out of Pulpit Harbor. No go. Knocked flat several times before it left the harbor!

It helps to have a plan for 30 on the nose. I left my main covered and hoisted my mizzen and after slowly powering out, waves over the house, and staying wide of lee hazards, we (boat and I), slowly fell off while unrolling the genoa - inch by inch - until the boat liked the speed and direction.

There are times when a big reliable diesel, turning slowly, can make the difference between a bad day and a,... reasonably, memorable day.
dinghy tow.jpg
So I had my fun at the end! Sailing a yawl, 'jib and jigger', is usually something you do off the wind. To windward, you need some main for drive. Starting with a furled jib (about 110%), I dropped the centerboard and tried to sail into my harbor against the foul current of the ebb. The lee helm caused by most of your SA on the headstay, takes patience and anticipation. You've got to adjust your helm before it's needed to keep the boat drawing.

As the wind and waves were cut back - as I tacked to windward - I began to sense and picked up the rhythm of the fickle lee helm. We (the boat and I), started to stretch out our tacks.
Jib and jigger track to windward.jpg

Outside the moorings I used another yawl trick(final track loop inside): Roll up the genoa and let go of everything. A yawl takes care of the rest, heaving to.
hove to 15kts.jpg

You drift slowly in the 15 knot breeze at 0 to .5 knots, to leeward in a slick of smooth water. I enjoyed riding in that slick for 15 or 20 minutes. The day got better,...
hove to 15kts slick.jpg
I needed a refresher in heavy weather. Don't do it, Tom! Duh,...

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sun Dog 2.jpg
Ward had me chasing the horizon on S/V Sun Dog to Ocean Gate and back Saturday afternoon. We were in and out of the sunshine and not that cold yet. Just 1 port reach and 1 stbd reach was all that was necessary to cover almost 30 miles. We had just one brief diversion to shake out a reef in the mainsail on the way north. Yesterday, it was brutally cold sitting and drinking at a vineyard festival. Sailing is more comfortable!

October is too early to quit. Sailing into November and just maybe a day or 2 in December is doable.

Photos courtesy of Ward!

Attachments

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Got new sails measured and ordered from North Sails on Friday and thought about going out Saturday afternoon into Sunday after some rain in the morning but Gale Warnings have a way of keeping you in the slip.
One more weekend/trip this year and it will be time to wrap up the boat and dream of the new sails and warmer weather.
Jeff

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Heading out tomorrow with my brother for a last sail on Sandusky Bay. Forecast is for 15-20 from the west going NW, and partly sunny. At this time of year we might sail through clouds of cormorants gathering before they head south.

Then, Lady Lillie comes out on Friday.

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
I would absolutely love to get out one more time. But seeing that we are first year sailors, and my wife is definitely a fair weather sailor at best....we are not going to make it. Probably for the best as we have a few things on the boat that need to get fixed. I got my work cut out for me in the off season. I would like to get to the point where I can single hand the ole 22 footer. Doesnt seem to be a big deal for the more seasoned sailors.....just not sure if I could do it. Maybe next year.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
I was out on the west end of Erie today. Beautiful afternoon, flat calm and mid 50F with wind blowing a steady 15 knots out of the southwest. Probably the last run of the year as it’s haul out weekend coming up at the marina..

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I didn't make it out this past weekend. Saturday had a high temp of 42 with winds howling 25-30 with gusts to 40 and the occasional snow shower. Sunday was nice but no wind in the morning so I went hunting, in the afternoon the wind came up but I was already committed to taking in some piers, so I just got to look at the lake while working.
I plan to get out sailing on Thursday and possibly Friday and Saturday with haul out on Sunday.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Its go time in Sarasota, FL.

Got out yesterday and last week after no sailing since april.

There was no wind when we left the house sunday. In the span of 5 minutes it went from glass on the bay to 25 mph gust and whitecap without any threat of rain.

It died down after about 45 minutes and then we got out there. 85 degrees with 10 mph winds, gusting to 15.

The opti's sailed off from the beach like it was still calm.

Enjoy a blurry F18 incoming attack.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You dress for cold. But you allow for nice. SLAM, Musto and Sperry save the day. Its amazing how a good racing smock and windproof pants will keep you warm. If you keep 100% of the wind off you, you're golden.

fun.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
View attachment 157670 Ward had me chasing the horizon on S/V Sun Dog to Ocean Gate and back Saturday afternoon. We were in and out of the sunshine and not that cold yet. Just 1 port reach and 1 stbd reach was all that was necessary to cover almost 30 miles. We had just one brief diversion to shake out a reef in the mainsail on the way north. Yesterday, it was brutally cold sitting and drinking at a vineyard festival. Sailing is more comfortable!

October is too early to quit. Sailing into November and just maybe a day or 2 in December is doable.

Photos courtesy of Ward!
Great photo, which vineyard? Was going to go to Sharrott Winery as my son-in-law was performing there. But was still recuperating from Bum Rogers Crab Shack.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Great photo, which vineyard? Was going to go to Sharrott Winery as my son-in-law was performing there. But was still recuperating from Bum Rogers Crab Shack.
Bum Rogers ... what a place! Sue & were in there with friends a few weeks ago. We were at Alba vineyard in Warren County with a few neighbors. I've been buying the white table wine (called Mainsail White) because I was attracted by the label long before I knew the winery was in New Jersey. As it turns out, they feature Barnegat Sneakboxes on the label!
Also tasted the Cab & Syrah, which I liked quite a lot. It turns out, those grapes come from Washington State (Sagemoor Vineyards) and Alba crafts for their "Chelsea Cellars" line. I'm going to look for those bottles now.
BTW, I had to laugh when I think about it … we sailed almost 30 miles and never saw a depth greater than 12'!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I still have work to do on our boat, but it's great to see others getting out. Hopefully, I can get finished up and go.

Ken