Cold Snapped

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Had the Corvette out for a ride on Sunday, nice day in the 60s. Looks like snow predicted for this weekend. I just didn’t move far enough south for the winter...

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
charlie, i'm not to bright, what's that red thing for over your cockpit used for? never had one of those. :)
me , i love heat. just turned the furnace up a little higher. hate air conditioning :)
:) heat is one thing- the hot broiling sun is different. Do remember- the sun is much higher in the sky here in summer time, than it is in Wisc.

And my house does not have air conditioning. I have screened doors and fans

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
When I was snowbound at my Dad's house in MA, back in 2015, I couldn't get near the yacht club to check on my boat. I consoled myself with thoughts of home back in Hawaii.
IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Record low temperatures and deadly wind chill in the upper Midwest this week. Stuff breaks when it gets this cold. Hoping no “winter wreckage” updates become necessary.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
-10 here in toledo just now, sun is out, wind 25 ish, praying the power stays on

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Winter weather can be tough on boats, but has it been tough on yours? Frozen plumbing, wind-blown rigging, leaks, any of them can ruin your whole day.

Tell us about your winter wreckage, then get back in front of the fire and warm up.

View attachment 159779
I don't know if winter is the reason, but January 2019 has been tough on my boat and my ego.
About lost the bow pulpit on January 12th smacking a race/channel marker post trying to cross the finish and still avoid a Beneteau 46 coming on starboard.
Then on January 19th, something on the finger pier went through the gelcoat down to glass while trying to dock in 30 knot winds, we had 3 guys on the boat and the marina had 3 guys on the dock with lines and boathooks and it still went south.
Then on January 26th, we almost lost the stern pulpit and a passenger to a port tacker in prestart race maneuvering, but we did lose the camera and bracket that was zip tied to the pulpit. It's at 1:05 in the video on post #8 in this thread:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...january-on-galveston-bay.194856/#post-1512182
No race this weekend, so I will try to find a good luck charm, or remove the curse, or get my mojo right, or whatever for the February 9th race. Oh, and I will check the finger pier for protruding nails and such, and also try to get the spinnaker halyard down from the top of the mast.
5611.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Just checked the weather on the shores of Lake Ontario, Rochester, NY. It's a balmy 2 degrees with 14 knots of wind gusting to 20.
Glad I winterized with the minus 60 degree antifreeze.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know about the cold bit, but this winter has caused us to need a few seams resewn on our Yankee.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning. An early Spring!
What is the "rat's" forecasting record?
I just watched Ratatouille with the Granddaughter. She celebrates her third birthday today. When I told her about Phil she wants to know, "Is he as good a cook as Ratatouille?"

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
One of the little fur balls on the news this morning didn't move for the 30 seconds that the shot lasted. It looked decidedly stuffed. (Or frozen)