Coffee with an Osprey.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
...Once, we were sailing on a Santa Cruz 50 on a whale watch when the the helms person had to veer sharply to avoid a surfacing whale. We actually sailed through the blow!...
Can’t get those whales to use a handkerchief for *anything.*
But seriously, thanks for this thread. I love reading about stuff like this.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is that what they would call "Riding the feathers"?
If he drops a web foot he's going to spin out and crash.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
And then there was dinner with a duck and breakfast with a peregrine. Momma duck hopped into our cockpit while we were eating supper. The peregrine (actually had three around) would show at dusk and roost in the spreaders until about 0800 each morning, in the fall only.
2FF5CCFE-C740-4209-AFF4-ADCDD96977F5.jpeg F539F03B-A36A-4906-8877-597B4CEC7520.jpeg

John P

Feb 11, 2017
Several years ago woke to this young Osprey in the cockpit at 3 am
She had a broken wing, possibly from hitting the sternstay in the dark. After a call, Osprey rescue came, put her in a cardboard cat carrier and headed for the vet. I later heard she healed and was released. All while anchored at Barnegat, NJ. I would not want to be a fish, the talons and beak are impressive

Attachments

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Osprey are amazing! I've seen that video before (several times) and have always been astonished. No idea how they got the shot taking the flounder - but notice that when going for a deep fish, the osprey had his claws all the way up by his beak. I've also heard that once the claws are loaded, they can't release to drop the fish. If the fish is too heavy, they have to land in the water with it to unload their claws.

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
We recently anchored (s/v Rasselas) with my friend Fred (s/v Rhombus) for a couple of days at Cumberland Island, GA. Cumberland is unique from most islands in that it offers abundant wildlife (horses, deer, hogs, eagles, hawks, etc.) and 18th/19th century ruins (Dungeness) not to mention a beautiful long beach one can leisurely stroll or reserve one of the Park's bikes for several hours or miles along clearly marked bike paths.

I arose early the second morning taking note of the sounds and sights while lazily sitting in the cockpit of the boat. I first noticed the calm still water surrounding our boats as the sun made it way above the horizon to welcome this sailor a new day. At first the water seemed motionless but upon further examination you could see the ever slow current carrying a number of barely visible particles glimmering in the water as the sun rose. I noticed a school of bait fish making there way along to the shore and then a splash as they came under attack. This only lasted a few minutes and then the water return to the stillness I had been enjoying. Soon I heard the sound of an osprey in search of food maybe for itself or possibly some hungry nesting young. It was soon joined by several other ospreys. Then one of the birds swooped down with great speed and grace and plucked a fish from the water and flew off to the tree line. By this time my morning cup of coffee was gone and the temperature was rising so I decided to dangle my feet in the cool water from the swim platform. To my amazement I was soon visited by a group of dolphins frolicking nearby but became curious about who might be anchored in the their waters. To my astonishment they came within feet of my feet as if to say good morning and welcome to our home. They would return several more times during my stay. On the shore some of the island's famous wild horses moseyed along the shoreline feeding on the tender green grass revealed by the low tide. When you think you have heard and seen all there is--there is more. The sky above Rasselas filled with high pitch squeals of two magnificent bald eagles circling above as if performing a ballet of sorts. They flew in perfect unison scouring the waters below much like the earlier ospreys in search of meal. They soon vanished as they had appeared. Not long after the eagles disappearance the calmness and quietness of my surrounding were soon to be interrupted by the blasting horn from the arrival of the first Cumberland Island ferries depositing a small number of early arrivals to the island. Soon to be joined by the first if several sightseeing tour boats loaded with anxious tourists wanting to take that perfect picture or maybe just one of several selfies. Next to Rasselas lies Drum Point Island and it was beginning to become awash in the wakes of the passing boats as the morning passed.

Before I realized it was time to find a shady spot to hide from the noonday blazing sun ending my account of the sounds and sights (14-15 Oct 2018 of my incredible morning anchored at Cumberland Island.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rasselas, that is an incredible account of a wonderful morning. Nice piece of writing too. I now have another destination on my fantasy sail list for Dragonfly.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Kermee, that's not as bad as the buckets of crustacean shells that go along with the poop at the left coast.