Code 0 Bowsprit Length

Dec 28, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Le Crouesty Brittany
yes you're wright , there was no bobstay to bring the uplift force to the vertical face of the boat. The sprit was only secured by plates and bolts through the deck. The flexible bobstay is a minimum you can do to reduce the vertical forces on the connection sprit/deck. However the long unsupported 35" sprit (reinforced or not) will bring heavy sideway forces on these connections. Would you have the possibility to install a rigid bobstay ?
I have a total different configuration at the front of my boat and I do not have this problem of closed pulpit, (mine is totally opened), here what I have done for my code 0. I have added a stainless steel plate fastened to the bow rollers and at the vertical front face of the boat.
P1010041 - Copie.JPG

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While the majority of the loads are upwards, there is a horizontal component as well. Happily, a bob-stay will support these horizontal loads just fine as long as the sprint cannot compress. The bobstay places the tack on a curved line around the attach point near the waterline. As long as the tack cannot move back, it cannot rise (and there fore cannot move sideways) from this point.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Would you have the possibility to install a rigid bobstay ?
Unfortunately not, Gerard, as the bowsprit is retractable; however, the forward attachment is securely bolted to a very solid anchor roller structure. I’ll take a photo when I’m there Monday and post it.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you’ve got an eye on the bow, a swaged stainless cable with quick releases would suffice.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If you’ve got an eye on the bow, a swaged stainless cable with quick releases would suffice.
I attach my Code 0 with furler to the anchor roller bale. I have had a strap installed from the bow up to the bow roller (similar to the picture by Gerard56) but would also like to have a removable bobstay. I already have a bow eye just above the waterline. However, I am on a mooring so the bobstay would rub on the mooring lines so I need to be able to remove it and easily attach it (from the bow deck). With our currents and wind here the boat can and does move onto the mooring. Any suggestions for the quick releases fittings that would be strong enough for a removable bobstay? (Its a Hunter 40.5)

Jan 2, 2017
As this photo shows, the forward bowsprit attachment ring is well supported.
2083234F-D45A-4DF0-A94F-F03BF435159B.jpeg

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
What is your DBS? It looks pretty short for a code 0. I would be worried about the huge lever action from the 35.5” USL exceeding the limits for the bowring, not necessarily the attachment to the anchor roller. It seems Selden allows for custom bowrings, but still specifies a minimum DBS of 8 x pole diameter (presumably for pole strength, which you have reinforced).

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1441613308/595-261-E.pdf

Jan 2, 2017
DBS is the specified minimum for a spinnaker: 23.6” (600mm), which is also equal to 8x pole diameter of 75mm. The Code 0 will be scaled down and flown only in light winds. We think the strengthened bowsprit will handle it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm generally not a fan of projects like asym/code sprits (and there have been more than a few here at SBO) that are under-engineered and under-build, and then described as 'they will only be used in light winds'.

I always suggest that you design and build for the WORST situation that might occur, and not the tamest.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Jackdaw. I agree; however, I think we are not under-engineering this for my situation. We have many light wind days here on Lake Pleasant with winds holding steady at 3-5 knots. I wanted an upwind sail for those days. The scaled down 0 will be not much larger than my spinnaker - more like a drifter.
Other times, I use the Genoa. The sprit-mounted furler alows me to quickly furl the 0 if the wind gets up.

Aug 1, 2011
Used within the design limits, stuff won’t break. But you have to be articulate about those limits and stick to them.
Our kite could bring the mast down, and the use thereof, is respected.

Aug 1, 2011
Methinks your kite would blow up way before that happened. ;^)
Well that too. I just want to stay away from the proverbial "Home Depot" ad, because few people can do it, and we don't want to be sending a message that it's ok to just nail some pipe to the deck and go fly a big kite without putting a bit of thought into the practical limits.
That said, there's nuthin more fun than the noise a very, very large bit of nylon makes as it unrolls!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...That said, there's nuthin more fun than the noise a very, very large bit of nylon makes as it unrolls!
In the movie "Wind", they call that noise "whomp", so name the sail a "whomper", not to be confused with the land-based "whopper". Anyway, they win the race.

Aug 1, 2011
In the movie "Wind", they call that noise "whomp", so name the sail a "whomper", not to be confused with the land-based "whopper". Anyway, they win the race.
That is exactly where the comment came from. :)
(oh the drama)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Aahhh... the thrill of the race! Brings to mind "Summer Rental" where John Candy hoists his VERY plus-sized pants as an additional sail. I won't spoil the ending.

Aug 1, 2011
A great movie from an entertainment perspective. I'd like to know the tactics involved in keeping the kite full when you are clearly in the wind shadow of the trailing boat.