Cockpit Speakers for a 275

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 275 15 Bellevue, WA
Hi Team:

My 275 arrived by truck yesterday and it's at the boatyard in Seattle getting setup. One of the things I am having done is a stereo.

Has anyone put speakers in their cockpit? What are some of the good (and bad) stories of speaker placement.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think that the riser to the settees is the best place. It is a common installation. If you have ears in your feet it is probably good. But the distance apart of the speakers in the cockpit will enhance some frequencies and suppress others. An equalizer could tune out some of the discrepancies. But if you can mount them in a more open area it would be better. Riser to the cabin would be better. If you have superstructure, like an arch, or solid bimini installation, that would be better.
It might be worthwhile to consider bluetooth installations.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I don't think that the riser to the settees is the best place. It is a common installation.
If you do go that route don't put them so low that they will accidently get kicked by people's heels/feet.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
:plus:for not making any holes in your new boat - look into enclosed speakers you can attach to the pushpit or something.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's not really your boat until you do cut a hole in it. Before that event it's a demo/charter.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 275 15 Bellevue, WA
I am thinking of doing on the lower sides of the aft cockpit. Other manufacturers do installs this way.

But yeah, the holes concern me.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Why not consider what I have? A portable, water resistant bluetooth speaker. No holes, take it to the beach or wherever with you, locate it above or below decks, 12 hours between charge, all good stuff.
1672607477593.jpeg

Mar 11, 2014
Before you put holes in the cockpit, you may want to consider the open transom has a tendency to be pooped and get a rush of many inches of water down there when your in a following sea... Trust me, I've been standing in water ankle deep many times