Cockpit speakers and anchorage noise

DanC

Nov 19, 2014
Oday 222 Lake Somerville, TX
The morning of my wedding day I went hunting with my fiance and she killed her first deer ever, a white tail doe. Then for lunch we went into Ingram, TX and saw the Kerr County Justice of the Peace and got married. We then went back to the ranch and she got her first buck, a little six point Sika, because she thinks they're handsome. So I went hunting in the morning with my fiance and hunting that afternoon with my wife, which is a story not many people can tell. I did lose a good rifle in the deal. My 6mm Remington is now hers. And I'm now forced to go deer hunting for my anniversary every year. (Head-slap, the things I do for my wife!) She calls it grocery shopping with a rifle.
Kat Whitetail.jpg Kat Sika.jpg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I have no cockpit speakers on the boat but I do have a jukebox in the salon. I try to be respectful around others however when a really good song is on, all bets are off. LOL-former powerboater.

Another boater near me last season had a Silent Wind generator. Couldn't even hear it & no I was listening to tunes:)

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I have stereo speakers in our cockpit. I find they are less likely to disturb others than interior cabin speakers that have to be cranked up very high so they can be heard in the cockpit. Sound travels over water quite far, and the louder the farther.

IMO if you can go more than a few feet away from your boat and still easily hear the noise coming from it, then it is too loud.

Now let's discuss folks who won't silence their halyards when they leave. . .

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
The OP has hit on one of my pet peeves. On our small lake there are two party barges that regularly ply the waters, always blaring their music such that is carries for hundreds of yards, depending on the wind. When I am trying to enjoy a peaceful evening on the lake, the LAST thing I want to hear is loud, throbbing music with monotonous profanity-laced lyrics. You know the type. Yes, I am officially a stodgy old geezer. Wakeboarding boats do the same, with the added insult of large wakes that have outlived their usefulness.

I have tried using a flashlight to signal offenders, but to no avail. Time to pull out the Q-beam, I suppose. :yikes:

I sometimes listen to music on my bluetooth speaker, but mostly I am there to enjoy the sound of the wind in my sails and the lapping of waves against the hull.

Yawwwnnn. Time for my nap...