Cockpit locker water in O'Day 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2013
Oday 22 Great Kills Harbor, Staten Island, NY
Hi,

I'm a new and novice sailboat owner. I just bought a 1978 O'Day 22. The boat seems to be in good fundamental shape. It's currently docked in a somewhat turbulent part of the Hudson River. All areas of the boat seem dry except that water (about 1/2 inch or so) collects in the starboard cockpit locker. I've tasted it, and it tastes like sea water. I've dried it once, and within about 1 week, and 1 short sailing session there is again about 1/2 inch of sea tasting water in the area, going under the cockpit floor, where there are loose pieces of styrofoam. I've read about the possibility of the cockpit drain being broken - would that account for sea water in that area? I plan on taking the boat out of the water in a few weeks. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2010
Islander 28 Bayview
Yes. Cockpit drain would be likely suspect. Also check to see if there are cracks in the low area where the cockpiit drain area, if there are even small cracks, repair them. Clean and dry this area really well to inpect.

Sep 19, 2013
Oday 22 Great Kills Harbor, Staten Island, NY
Yes. Cockpit drain would be likely suspect. Also check to see if there are cracks in the low area where the cockpiit drain area, if there are even small cracks, repair them. Clean and dry this area really well to inpect.
Thanks for the reply. I don't even see the cockpit drain hose, it's not visible - under the cockpit floor, I guess. Are you speaking of cracks on the "spout" of the drain itself, or on the transom around the drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.