Cockpit Locker Guillotine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Have finally managed to eliminate the Guillotine effect of the cockpit locker lid with two caravan gas struts (one for redundancy). Works like a charm.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Hold On Now Cowboy!

Have finally managed to eliminate the Guillotine effect of the cockpit locker lid with two caravan gas struts (one for redundancy). Works like a charm.
That looks like pure genius, but you gotta give us more details. :D I really like this idea!!! :dance:

Originally I thought from your post title you were talking about the one just aft of that one which has bit my hand (and head) a couple of times.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
rpwillia - There is not really much to tell – WYSIWIG.

This arrangement makes it easier to extract my temporary lighter washboards, stored in the locker, when encountering rough seas offshore (I don’t have a dodger as I hate looking thru windows).

The struts are 150N. One is strong enough to hold the lid open, but I feel safer with two. In high winds or seas I would still brace the lid with my hand whilst lifting things out. They are for caravan use, so I don’t know how long they will last on the boat. I just keep oiling them. The brackets are flat and angled 3 mm aluminium, primed and painted.

The angle of the struts, from cross bearer section to the stringer embedded in the lid, is critical and millimetres make a difference. The attachment point at the bearer must be as high as possible without cutting too much into it, to allow the strut angle to the lid to be as flat as possible when open and to allow the struts to close.

The struts only assist lift when the lid is almost up, but then go into full strength position – similar to a car boot lid.

Struts were about A$60 and came with ball joints. An equivalent stainless steel marine version would have been 3-4 times that price.

Attached pictures show struts from other side and the stored washboards. I also store there a plastic roll-up see-thru ‘washboard/cover’ for light rain or spray.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
... The struts are 150N. ... Attached pictures show struts from other side and the stored washboards. ...
Thanks. I looked up 150N and they magically came up so I know how to find em. Admiral sewed a bag up with some old heavy sheet and felt lining for my wash board and I stow mine back there as well sitting on top of a life preserver bag so they are out of the way. Again a brilliant idea.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Albanach

Top drawer design...But I may have to hit my head a few more times.

paulj

Status
Not open for further replies.