Cockpit Instruments Moving...or Not?

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
OK. I've done my searching of old, and some very old, posts to try and find guidance on my planned move of instruments (Depth, Raymarine, etc.) from a pedestal structure, which must go, to the starboard cabin-bulkhead front. The contradicting opinion seems to be that there is not adequate space between the exterior/interior bulkhead surfaces to permit instruments/wiring to be installed without compromising the appearance of the cabin interior. i.e. back of units and wiring visible in cabin. Can anyone confirm this for me for an O'Day 28 (1985), or O'Day model with similar bulkhead? From inside the cabin it appears there would be sufficient space between the exterior-interior bulkhead surfaces - but can't be sure. Any specific help on this front appreciated. I've been beating myself up on the homemade pedestal structure for 5 years now - and I need it gone. Moving instruments is the key to its demise!! Thanks. T.

P.S. Happy to hear of better alternatives for instrument placement.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our 28 had the speed and depth instruments there. There definitely wasn’t enough space to hide the back of the instruments and wires between the skins. To cover the inside O’Day put a teak cabinet. The cabinet door opened to provide access to the on/off/night switches on the backs of the instruments. The wires, after coming out the back of the instruments, went back into the space between the skins for routing.

1625047052975.jpeg

The only downside of having them in that location was that if anyone wanted to recline against the bulkhead they blocked the instruments.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The other downside with mounting them in the the bulkhead is there will always be holes there. Big ones. I would look for alternatives (over the companion-way, new pedestal mount).

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If I had my choice, I would absolutely install an instrument "bridge" over the companionway. Far enough back not to interfere with going up and down the ladder.. close enough to be seen from anywhere in the cockpit.... and allow guests to use the bulkhead as a back rest... which they always seem inclined to do. Take a cue from race boats... small and large... that use this setup.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Seems to me that you will still need your chart plotter and autopilot at the helm. The others may be relocated forward. Your boat, your choice.