Cockpit Flooring Project

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
So, after decades sailing with small dogs, we got used to having some carpet in the cockpit which also helped keep the dirt and sand from going below when on our Catalina mooring. It stayed put except for lively sailing; never had it in place for races. We took it out but we still thought the cockpit needed "something". I though about a synthetic teak, but got scared off by some friends who had issues. Ultimately, we settled on a SnapLock product. 1' X1' squares that snap together. We went with a cross-rib design that is kind on bare feet. This stuff has some cushion but stays in place. It took my wife and I about ten hours to make templates and trim the pieces. Happy so far. Marine Decking and Flooring: Slip-Resistant, Draining - DuraGrid

IMG_20200213_140521710_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200213_140542441.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What was your process for determining how many tiles to order?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Looks good and it's reasonably priced. This just went on the top of my list for flooring options. Thanks for sharing!

What did you use to cut it?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
What did you use to cut it?
I used an old sharpened bread knife (serrated edge) for the long straight cuts. For the curves, I used an old metal shears which didn't work well. I went to Harbor Freight and got the yellow-handle straight shears with longer blades and they worked fine. We used dry-erase markers to trace the cutting outline on the tiles.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I really like it.... I think the blue would look great on my boat.
I figured the center of the cockpit would be the connection point for the port and starboard tiles. I then figured how many it would take and added a couple for mistakes.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’m curious about the SeaDek, did that come in certain sizes or was it custom cut?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had it custom cut. You can use plastic drop covers to make templates, send to them and they send you a drawing and if you request it, they send you what the cut out would look like on a thick sheet of clear plastic. Then you mark adjustments on that piece, then they will send you the cut out version. I worked directly with the company and installed it myself. I had gotten a bid from a certified seadek installer, but it was way to rich for me. I did it myself for less then half the cost of the installer. The company was really great to work with. I also had the boat name lasered into the port and starboard lazarette pieces. I highly recommend seadek. Prior to redoing this I had it on my cockpit floor for about six years. It still looked good, but would not have matched the newly installed stuff on the lazarettes. You can buy sheets and cut it yourself.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
Mike, so for your brother h31 owners, do they still have your templates on file? was it seadek themselves that did it?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Mike, so for your brother h31 owners, do they still have your templates on file? was it seadek themselves that did it?
Yessir they have my templates on file. If you are interested PM me and I will get you in touch with the woman I worked with. They were great to work with BTW.