Cockpit enclosure question

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We're replacing all our canvas this winter and adding a complete enclosure. On the side panels we can either go with a "smile" for the glass (rolls up) or a "frown" (rolls down). A friend of ours did theirs with the frown setup and really likes it. Says its much easier to add just a little ventilation during a rainy day with that setup. Our canvas guy said he would do it either way but recommends doing it as a smile as the plastic panels roll up out of the way. As a frown they roll down right at the stern rail, and that causes wear on the plastic. Of course, my wife is sold on the frown, and I'm leaning toward the smile.

So, to those out there with enclosures, how did you do it and why? Does it really matter concerning ventilation and rain getting in the boat? Is one better than the other?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
From our experience, definitely smiles. Frowns may be ok on a power boat bridge deck but they will definitely clutter your cockpit when rolled. I will say though that rolling up the smiles can be a struggle if one has any shoulder ailment, arthritis as I do. Imagine how the cockpit would be cluttered with these side curtains as frowns. Winch access may be an issue. Also, think about deck access with frowns rolled up (or down).

Attachments

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Makes me wonder if one could out a horizontal attachment in such a way as being able to have a small section of window near the top that could be opened on its own. Then the majority of the side window to roll up to that horizontal connection. No experience with something like this. It certainly would add to the already not insignificant cost. But having ventilation along the top without having the whole side open sounds like a useful thing.

Sorry, it's early in the morning and I haven't finished my morning coffee yet - this might be just the ramblings of a half asleep person...

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I don't have a full enclosure, however, I would go with smile method as it keeps the vinyl up out and out of the way. Vinyl is easily scratched and when rolled down would be more prone to scratching.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a full enclosure and can't really imagine the roll down set up without it causing problems on a sailboat. In addition to the potential problem as pointed out by @dlochner there is the "clutter issue" of the rolled down vinyl that others have mentioned. If they were rolled down on my enclosure it would make entering from the sugar scoop stern nearly impossible, inhibit access to the sheet winches when sailing, and put the rolled down vinyl right at the level of cockpit looking terrible. To leave your cockpit you would have to crawl or step over your rolled down vinyl windows and risk damage each time you do that. If you don't go with roll up (the smile method) it would seem to be better to have them designed to be completely removed and stored somewhere safe but then that kind of defeats the purpose of a full enclosure. Your boat, your choice but I'm can't see any advantage of rolling down.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm not really an OMG kind of guy, but OMG do I love my enclosure! Roll up … definitely. If you had them rolled at the bottom, they would be in the way. You would either be stepping on them or struggling to step over them every time you are leaving the cockpit. I can't imagine the damage that you would be causing. The only time I want a little ventilation is when it is raining. I'll run the zippers up on the leeward side so there is still a rain screen with some ventilation. In warm clear weather, full ventilation is necessary ( I can't imagine when partial ventilation would be suitable in clear weather) so they are completely rolled up and out of the way or removed. Ease of installation and removal would be more important in my opinion. I would think it would be far more difficult starting at the bottom and working up, but maybe there is a system I don't understand. The only place I would want roll down would be at the connector between Bimini and dodger.

Now that we have a vinyl enclosure, which has been great, we want a screen enclosure for those hot days when the greenheads are out!

Oct 26, 2008
A friend of ours did theirs with the frown setup and really likes it. Says its much easier to add just a little ventilation during a rainy day with that setup.

Does it really matter concerning ventilation and rain getting in the boat? Is one better than the other?
I might not understand how or why you would roll down during a rainy day. Wouldn't that just funnel rainwater into the cockpit?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
can be a struggle if one has any shoulder ailment, arthritis as I do
Sorry for the thread drift. I would do this as a PM but other people might benefit from this info.
You might be able to prevent or alleviate arthritis without meds by changing your diet. It's not a snake oil remedy. Scientific evidence here: Search
My business partner was considering knee replacement due to arthritis, and eliminated his pain by switching to a whole-foods plant based diet. He's now able to hike for miles without any abnormal discomfort. My brother in-law was planning a hip replacement, and actually had it scheduled; his pain was reduced after switching to plant-based eating and he delayed the surgery. But another benefit of his new diet is that his cholesterol level dropped so much his doctor took him off statins. After going off statins his pain went away completely.
Try it just for a month, and see if it works for you. Little downside, big upside if it helps.
(I've been eating this way for 9 years. PM me if you want any tips to make it work.)

Oct 26, 2008
Let me tell you how much these small luxuries have added to the boat. Yesterday afternoon, I went down to the boat to take some measurements and review some of the projects that I might take on over the winter. It was a little chilly and very damp, with a light rain falling. I was in and out of the boat for tools & such. I opened one side panel from the bottom and tented the bottom edge over the lifeline so I could get in and out easily. I turned on the reverse cycle heat and had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon despite the cold & rain! Cockpit was dry - cabin was warm and I had a nice little retreat on a miserable day. The wind was even a little blustery but what did I care!

The first time @Ward H & I put the enclosure up, we had just pulled into the mooring field on Block Island and it was dreary and damp. As soon as we got settled on a mooring, we got the connector & side panels on quickly just before a downpour. We sat in the cockpit, perfectly dry, sipping our drinks and soup while we watched a show of boats searching for moorings in the pouring rain! Nothing in the world felt better at that moment! :cool:

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I say neither smile or frown. I vote for "O" On our dodger we built all of the panels to be fully removable and plan to build our full enclosure the same way. A jacket zipper across the top and out is comes. Then you can roll it or just lay if flat on an unused berth.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The first time @Ward H & I put the enclosure up, we had just pulled into the mooring field on Block Island and it was dreary and damp. As soon as we got settled on a mooring, we got the connector & side panels on quickly just before a downpour. We sat in the cockpit, perfectly dry, sipping our drinks and soup while we watched a show of boats searching for moorings in the pouring rain! Nothing in the world felt better at that moment! :cool:
I was writing a post about this but @Scott T-Bird beat me to it.
The only thing to add is this: It happened 3 nights out of 6 on this trip. I might be making some changes to my canvass this winter.

Oct 26, 2008
I say neither smile or frown. I vote for "O" On our dodger we built all of the panels to be fully removable and plan to build our full enclosure the same way. A jacket zipper across the top and out is comes. Then you can roll it or just lay if flat on an unused berth.
I assumed he was talking about a removable enclosure. Mine has 8 removable panels altogether (aside from the Bimini and dodger). There is the connector, 2 side panels stbd & port (each), 3 panels across the back. I can open and close panels with just about any combination I like. One evening in October, I was sailing downwind to an anchorage and it got chilly as the sun went down. I rolled the windward side & rear panels down (just 2 panels) to get out of the wind and get a little assist in sail area to boot. I might be getting a little soft! :biggrin:

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
Winch access may be an issue. Also, think about deck access with frowns rolled up (or down).
Nice enclosure. How did you resolve the possible primary winch access problem and how is your enclosure attached at the base to the boat? Thanks.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Let me tell you how much these small luxuries have added to the boat. Yesterday afternoon, I went down to the boat to take some measurements and review some of the projects that I might take on over the winter. It was a little chilly and very damp, with a light rain falling. I was in and out of the boat for tools & such. I opened one side panel from the bottom and tented the bottom edge over the lifeline so I could get in and out easily. I turned on the reverse cycle heat and had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon despite the cold & rain! Cockpit was dry - cabin was warm and I had a nice little retreat on a miserable day. The wind was even a little blustery but what did I care!

On our trips back to FL from New England in the late fall, our friends with full enclosures would would wave at us while sipping coffee and wearing tee shirts. Meanwhile, we would be freezing in the cockpit, wearing very bit of clothing we owned!

Oct 26, 2008
Why smiles or frowns? Mine are square or rectangle. Zippers vertical with a zipper on top to attach to the bimini and snaps on the bottom/coaming. I get the full opening when I roll that panel up.
I didn't quite get it either. I assumed all enclosures would be as you describe. It sounds like the "frown" option is the opposite of what you describe … the vertical zippers would open from top to bottom (close from bottom to top) so that you can only roll a panel by rolling down and finishing at the bottom. I've never contemplated that it would be done that way. I'm guessing that it would be done so that if you open only a portion at the top, you create a sort of open window where gravity works to flop the panel over itself. I really don't see how that would be desirable.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I had a full enclosure on a Freeport 41 and now again on our 466. All panels roll up. Typically I only roll up the two forward doors and the rear cockpit door on our 466. During the summer all three rear panels are zipped off and stowed below. I cannot envision the frown option.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Nice enclosure. How did you resolve the possible primary winch access problem and how is your enclosure attached at the base to the boat? Thanks.
There are small roll up sunbrella panels outboard the winches. They can be seen in the pic I posted. When sailing, or on nice days at anchor, we roll them up (they are smiles). The enclosure side curtains are fastened outboard the comings with a combination of different types of snaps. Very sturdy.
On a different subject, we owned a Pearson 39 yawls for 21 years. Great boat. We loved her but moved on to our current 44 DS.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Why smiles or frowns? Mine are square or rectangle. Zippers vertical with a zipper on top to attach to the bimini and snaps on the bottom/coaming. I get the full opening when I roll that panel up.
Similar here - I can roll up or remove any panel. They roll up - not down. I think down would be in the way, when stepping out/into the cockpit. (Also notice the LifeSling2 case and top rail covers at the stern, made of Sunbrella. They were purchased from this site's store. Nicer than the original case.)
IMG_1481.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
A couple of clarifications. Regarding smiles vs frowns. That's just whether they zip top down or bottom up. They are rectangular panels with curved zippers at the corners. This is the glass panel I'm talking about that zips over the screen. The screen and glass panels on the side and stern panels will only go down as far as the stainless railing. Canvas down below that to the boat. Regardless of the direction, there will be ties to tie up the rolled plastic if it's up or down all the way.

Concerning winches, the main panels will zip together at the winches, so access won't be an issue.

Scott T-bird, yes the only advantage with the frown setup is when you partially unzip it, it flops down some for ventilation. I could actually see that might be nice on those stuffy rainy days, if it isn't raining enough to blow in. I also put my original post up on the Catalina 350 owners facebook group. Though it seems pretty common that people have gone with the smile configuration, I got back one comment from someone who did frowns and likes them a lot for that reason. Our setup will be similar to yours concerning the number of panels.

Our current thinking is maybe to do some of both. Frowns on the 2 side stern panels and smiles everywhere else. Still to be determined.