Cockpit Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 22 Havre de Grace, MD
Hi! If this has been addressed before, and I can't believe it hasn't, please let me know and I'll search the archives. I don't understand the drains in the cockpit of my 82 Catalina 22 which I purchased in the Fall. Just put it in the water last week and since the drains weren't working previous to that, I took everything apart and cleaned out the tubes to the T. Took off the T and cleaned out the bugs and debris. Poked down thru the thru hull a bit and water was seeping (not gushing) up into the bilge, so had to sop up and work fast. Put it back together, poured water down one of the drains, it gulped and went down. So, hosed the boat, gave it a quick scrub, and the cockpit drains didn't take the water away....The owners' manual diagram looks just like the set up I have. Any ideas what is wrong? HELP!!!!

H

Herb-Alaska

what about your valves

I would think thatyour valve at the tp of the volcano may be partly closed or clogged. I use compressed air from my high volume hand pump for the tender to clear the lines when they get clogged. Plug one side then pump away ( after making sure the valve is open) then change sides. then pour the water and make sure it goes down before going crazy with the water like from a wash down. Let us know how it works for you. Herb

B

Bob B.

Replace the "T" with a "Y".

Hello Boatinbabe?? The drains plug very easily with bugs, dirt, poplar fuzz etc. I replaced the "T" with a "Y". This doesn't plug so easily. When the drain is plugged I can run a sewer snake down & right out the through hull valve. Cannot do this with a "T". Regards, Bob B.

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Scuppers

Look into adding scuppers through the transom like the newer models. They're completely trouble free. There should be plenty of posts in the archives on this conversion as well as info on other sites.

22Nauti

Ditto what Herb Said

I always shoot the hose down each side every so often. Not sure if it matters, but I always lower the keel a bit in case a small stick or two get in there.

B

Bob B.

Scuppers

Dave: Scuppers in the transom would be the best solution but I think the cockpit floor slopes the wrong way in the older models like mine. Bob B.

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Re: Scuppers

Bob, I always wondered if the slope was different on the older boats. I guess it would have to be if the drains are in the front. Have you ever seen your cockpit with enough water to reach the transom? Or do you just get a little puddle in the front when your system clogs? The CD handbook talks about heavy rain or knockdowns filling the cockpit enough where the water can run over the threshold into the cabin. That would be reason enough to install the transom scuppers as a backup drain system.

B

Bob B.

Re-Re Scuppers

Dave, The only time I get a puddle in the cockpit is when I wash her down or after a heavy rain & then of course notice the drains plugged. I have had some water come over the bow & cabin into the cockpit but not enough to cause much of a puddle. C22s are pretty dry boats. If the puddle extended back to the transom, it would be about an inch deep at the drain. I have been knocked down, sails flat in the water. When the boat is "sailing" like this, it is floating surprisingly high in the water. When on it's side, the water was not close to going in the companionway. Of course this happened back in 1991 & my view was from a few feet away with waves breaking over my head & my recallection may be a bit cloudy. When this happened I was not aboard when she came back up so don't know how much water if any was in the cockpit. My pals had to lower the sails & motor back to pick me up. Bob B.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
I was just there

Babe: You already received plenty of advice on clean the drains, so I won't discuss that. Last week, I just replaced the valve to the thru-hull. My old brass valve was frozen for several years, which isn't a very safe thing. The valve that I replaced it with was a 1/4 turn, all plastic ball valve. I had a slow leak near the battery compartment, (of my 1980 C-22). I had thought that the leak was from between the pipe coming out of the "volcano" and the body of the brass valve, but after taking the valve off, I discovered that it was coming from between the pipe and the fiberglass that formed the volcano around the pipe. I was a little horified to see this, but I don't think that this is too unusual after thinking back about conversations that I had with friends about their C-22s, and comments that I have read on this fourum. I wrapped a layer of fiberglass cloth around the pipe, and over the next few days brushed many coats of epoxy into and onto the fiberglass cloth. I also replaced the vinyl hoses with new ones, and replaced the T, mostly just to save time. The new hoses were much softer than the old hoses which were hardened from age. The one volcano that came from the port cockpit drain also was weak, and leaking. I wrapped fiberglass cloth around this pipe and also built-up layers of epoxy around that little volcano too. Does your thru-hull valve work properly? I reread your article above, and it sounds like you did your plumbing work with your boat in the water. If your valve were open, or doesn't close properly, I'm told that the boat would sink, especially if you were to remove it. The pipe coming up from the thru-hull is 13/16 inch inside diameter, so I certainly wouldn't want to try rwmoving the valve with the boat in the water. If you already cleaned out the hoses that connect to the "T" on top of the thru-hole valve, I suspect that the thru-hull valve may be clogged or not opening fully. I just checked the one that I took off, and it's wide open straight through. I can now see the water level inside the vinyl hoses with my boat in the water, and it's about 1/2 way between the "T" and the bottom of the brass pipes from the bottom of the cockpit. If when you removed the "T" and had your valve open and the water only "seeped" out instead of gushing out, I think that your valve is clogged. I know that when I was working on this with the boat on the trailer, I could see the light coming from around my keel, over my driveway. I hope this information helps you or someone else. I hope you enjoy sailing around Havre de Grace. We have sailed our boat there twice, and we really enjoyed that town. It a nice to walk around. I hope you enjoy sailing around the the Northern Chesapeake too. There are many places that you can cruise your C-22 to. There will be a Fleet 10, C-22 cruise starting from Middle River later this summer. It's really fun sailing with a bunch of C-22s. Aldo

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Toms River, NJ
*****Question for Bob B!!!

Cna you explain the details of your knockdown? How many degrees of heel were you sailing at before she knocked down. Did you have your keel in the locked position or do you keep your swing keel unlocked? Did you have your companionway hatchboards in? These are jsut a few things that I wonder about when I think about the possiblity of a knockdown. Fortunatly, and hopefully never, it has never happened. But i hear that these measures can greatly reduce the risk of more serious danger to the boat.

B

Bob B.

Knockdown Response to Mike M.

Hi Mike: My knockdown info is in the archives but not that easy to find as the titles don't have the word "knockdown" in them. I will look up the archive clues & post them here in the next day or two. Meanwhile back to painting the house & hopefully sailing. Regards, Bob B.

B

Bob B.

RE-Knockdown response to Mike Marley

Hi Mike Marley: I will post a topic sometime later titled "Knockdown" as there seems to be a lot of interest in this especially for new sailors & it will be easier to find. In the meantime go to the archieves. Search: Bob B.-model 22-Smaller boats forum-reply-Author-Match any word-Relevance. Uncheck title. There are about 7 replies of mine 3 or more of them make reference to my knockdown. Some of the replies are from Bob Brown. Later, Bob B.

Status
Not open for further replies.