Cockpit drain

Mar 28, 2021
Sirius 21 Pointe-Claire
Just an FYI for other owners:

On my Sirius, the hose from the cockpit drain runs through the starboard locker to a stern through hull above the waterline. The locker is connected with the interior.

Last season I was away and on a very stormy day short waves were ramming into the stern. This detached the hose and consequently water drained into the locker and then into the cabin. As the boat was weighed down, the through hull sank below the waterline. Quick action from club employees saved her from sinking at the slip.

Moral of the story, check often that your cockpit drains are well-attached.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I reached down to check the hoses on my cockpit scuppers and they came right off in my hands. I was going to glass them over anyhow, but it's a good idea to always check. My thru-hulls are underwater, on either side of the CB. I think I'll just drain into the CB trunk. I might have to let her come up from a heel every once in a while if it is a particularly wet day, but there are several advantages to my plan.

1. Simple, no worries draining when unattended.
2. Bigger openning to drain the water out.
3. I want the space below to put batteries.
4. Less drag below the waterline.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had a similar cockpit drain system on my Montgomery 15. Water would slosh up the Centerboard trunk and spill into the cockpit when on the wind and in a turbulent sea. After the sail I always had wet feet.
It was fun while I had her. Surprisingly other than the water from the CB she was a dry boat. I wondered if I could put a couple rubber strips on the hull for the help stop water coming up the CB trunk. Then I found her a new home, I never resolved the problem.
First sail.jpg

Oct 22, 2022
Sirius 21 Lake Ontario
Just an FYI for other owners:

On my Sirius, the hose from the cockpit drain runs through the starboard locker to a stern through hull above the waterline. The locker is connected with the interior.

Last season I was away and on a very stormy day short waves were ramming into the stern. This detached the hose and consequently water drained into the locker and then into the cabin. As the boat was weighed down, the through hull sank below the waterline. Quick action from club employees saved her from sinking at the slip.

Moral of the story, check often that your cockpit drains are well-attached.
Being a new Sirius owner I will definitely check this...are you talking about it detaching on the other side of the outlet scupper on the transom, or underneath where the two cockpit drains attach to? Also, what is the composition of the hose and are they replaceable?

Brent