Cockpit drain tube flare tool for 1 5/8 tube.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So I have a catalina 22 with 2 cockpit drain tubes in the stern. Over the past 30+ year the brass is now worn out and needs to be replaced. CD no longer sells the tubes as they say they lost their vendor. Being a former maintenance guy I knew that the materials were available. The original tubes are 1 5/8" OD (1.652") with a wall thickness of .035. I found (with a 5 min internet search) brass tubing that is the right OD and a .032 wall which should work. Now I am looking for the compression flaring tool. Does anyone know where to buy the older 1 5/8 flaring tool that used to be used for these Moller fittings or know another trade name for the tool that I can make my own? Any help is appreciated and I have attached pictures of both items for reference.

613.jpg 31KP8stP5wL._SX466_.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You could try McMaster-Carr, Grainger or Fastenal. I took a quick look at McMaster.com and the largest flaring tool they had was for a 1 ¼ inch OD. Be prepared for extreme sticker shock!

The size you are looking for is about the same size as 1 ½ ID pipe, the type used for sink drains. It was common practice back in the day to use sink drains for cockpit drains. You might find a suitable product at plumbing supply house. They look like sink drain tail pieces.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
You can get 1-1/2” brass sink tail pieces in 22, 20 and 17 gauge. You might have to go to some plumbing supply houses rather than the big box stores for the 17 gauge but on such a critical item that’s what I would look for. They already have the flare in place and come in multiple lengths as well.

EV21

Apr 29, 2016
Macgregor 21 Venture Delaware ...
Plus one on the tailpiece idea. Had the same issue with a cockpit drain tube and showed it to my friendly plumbing supply guy and he came out with a tail piece that looked like the original and fit even better -- just a couple of bucks to boot.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
How about one of the flared tailpipe end pieces from a car exhaust?

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I found a small tool and die shop locally that makes or repairs all sorts of boat related metal stuff for me. You might try finding someone similar in your area who could turn those pieces on a metal lathe - doesn't look like anything difficult.