Cockpit Drain Plumbing Morgan OI 30

Jan 13, 2014
morgan 30 st petersburg, FL
Morgan OI 30 has two drains in at the aft end of the cockpit. My starboard drain does not flow, although port one is OK. I'd feel more comfortable sailing with both sides working. Both drains are plumbed together to the single overboard port in the stern. Is it possible one side is just plugged with crud (tree trash, berries from bird poop, etc) or is there some sort of check-valve in the downstream plumbing before the lines join together? I haven't tried going over the side to give the line an enema, but that is a choice. Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Frank

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Have not been aboard that model......Is the tubing accessable from inside the aft of the boat? It would be worth some contortions to see the condition of the tubes and all connections. Replacing the parts would put you at ease because you would know the situation.

Maybe you could flush the tubing with a hose.....if you haven't already tried that. My concern would be that the blockage could cause water to backup and get inside the boat.

Using some soft plastic tubing as a "Roto Router Substitute" would help avoid damaging the existing drain tubing if you choose to keep the old stuff or can't get to it. On one neglected boat we bought there was a tiny (5 inch tall) tree sprouting out of the aft opening of the cockpit drain due to the crud that had accumulated in the opening!

Best Wishes

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Uhm, you're there, we're not. Not sure how we can help. It's like smells, sounds and electrical pictures without wiring diagrams diagnosis on the internet. :) Hard to do.

If it was my boat I'd take the offending hose off and LOOK! :)

Good luck.