Cockpit drain hole sticking up, incomplete draining. Solution?

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
Have a 1976 MacGregor Venture 222 w a cockpit drain hole that is horizontal and near the keel winch at the front of the cockpit. It's a bit elevated preventing complete draining of the cockpit. Any suggestions or was it always like that?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Are you sure that isn’t for the keel pendent (to raise and lower the keel)? You mentioned it is close to the keel winch. Is there a cable on the winch? Where does it go?

If not and you are sure it is a scupper (cockpit drain), then there should be a drain hose attached underneath. You may be able to remove the 2 bolts shown in the photo, remove the fitting, and cut off the proud part and then rebed it.

If you have a photo of the whole cockpit floor, post that as it might help us determine what you have there…or crawl under the cockpit sole and look for drain hoses, etc.

Cool little boat.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There should be a flange that the bolts are fastened to. I would take out the "drain", clean it off and reseal it during installation. To get it closer to flush add washers between the flange and the bottom of the fiberglass. Sand the drain by hand if you can't get it close enough using washers alone. I would not recommend sanding in place if you are inexperienced with this sort of work

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah, you can see the outline of where the flange used to be...
I'd bet BWY has them.