Cockpit cushions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oston

Aug 15, 2012
Catalina 28 Mkii San Diego
Does anyone know where Catalina Yachts got their cockpit cushions made. I've seen some Closed Cell Foam cushions on a Cat-34 Limited edition that I would like to buy. Catalina Direct doesn't know..

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you do a bit of searching, there is a link from this site to the makers of the closed cell cushions. make sure your sitting down when you get the quote....:eek:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
yeah, someone knows, probably catalina.
LOL....... :) :dance:

Please remember Morty that providing an obvious answer to a simple question reduces the opportunity for others to stray from the subject with lengthy non-related comments. :)doh: duh, I guess this post would qualify as a non related comment... can't help it, though, that was funny)...

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
actually joe, i'm astoiunded how how many people don't know catalna direct is not catalina.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if lowell is catalina direct, no confrontation, just my realizing they sell inferior equipment for higher prices than catalina yacht sells the real stuff.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
mortyd said:
if lowell is catalina direct, no confrontation, just my realizing they sell inferior equipment for higher prices than catalina yacht sells the real stuff.
Maybe some but not all. Otherwise in discussions with Catalina why would they recommend buying the Catalina OEM parts from Catalina Direct?

I have on more than one occasion been told "same part, same price" more-or-less from folks I deal with regularly at the plant.

Case in point: do you want us to believe there are inferior versions of the stock Garhaur gear on CD when compared with the plant's Garhaur offerings? How about C27 U-bolt chain plate retrofit kits?

Just one or two examples.... I could dig for more but it's kinda academic.

I don't respond to argue, (or wait, maybe this is at least debate? :D ) but rather just to suggest your over-arching blanket statement regarding CD is not wholly true.

If one can say your statement is not wholly true, one can also say by deductive reasoning the your statement is wrong... :)

This sailor is not swayed by your argument...

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i have no arguement. buy what you like where you like. all i am trying to say is catalina direct is NOT catalina yachts, a company silll in business. it's your money.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
mortyd said:
i have no arguement. buy what you like where you like. all i am trying to say is catalina direct is NOT catalina yachts, a company silll in business. it's your money.
But Morty, you also want us to buy in on your blanket comment re: inferior parts??? That is beyond a simple explanation that CD is not Catalina

My apologies to the OP, this thread has taken a tangent.

You can contact Kent Nelson at Catalina Yachts and inquire re: cockpit cushions. Call and ask for him; I know he is happy to guide you to a source.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
you're double right; this is a tangent and rather stale, but i bought sadly inferior deck filler caps from CD for more money than i eventually bought originals from catalina yachts; more than enough for me. i don't own a pearson or o'day.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
While I'm not in love with C.D. I have to agree with Phil on this one. It's not fair to smear a business just because they sold you a deck filler cap that wasn't perfect (I prefer the all metal ones anyway). But Catalina Yachts is not perfect. They've sold boats with some pretty cheap hardware on them to save $$. The original equipment hinges & hasps closures on their cockpit hatches were thin, weak & well known for breaking. The hinges in the cabin belong on an RV & turn into rusty junk after a few years. The cotter pins that Catalina uses on their stays & turnbuckles are too thin, complete junk that could cause you to lose your rig if they fail (this has been documented several times). Their wiring & electrical panels from Seaward from the 70's are also badly built & a potential fire hazard. Why would I want to replace them with the same original junk? Their curved traveller and original sails are also crappy. Wooden spreaders? WTF! We've all had to spend a lot of money to replace all this junk over the years! I bought replacement hinges from CD that were very heavy duty cast S.S. that were much better then the original equipment. But to each their own.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
every single item you mentioned was improved by catalina eventually and my boat left the factory with none. it's not one deck filler cap, it's that i'd never know what i'm getting ordered from phone people who know nothing - dig, nothing - about my or any other boat. but, you're correct, it's my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.