Cockpit and Cabin Sound System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2013
Catalina 320 627 Destin, FL
We just bought a '99 Catalina 320 and are interested in upgrading the sound system. Currently there is an automobile-type Radio/CD system with cabin speakers. I want to get iPod/CD/SiriusXM capability and also add cockpit speakers under the stern rail seats. I know some 310s and 320s came with those accessories already tricked out. Any suggestions as to brands, where to get underseat-mount speakers, running the wiring, remote control, etc? What is the drag of such systems on the batteries?
thanks,
Carey

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
First off, for the radio do a search for the Sony CDX-M60UI. That is a marine head unit that has the features you describe. Then consider a wired remote for the cockpit, RMX60M

These will get you quality sound and the ability to control it from the cockpit.

For your speakers, there are many options. Know you will want to try to find marine magnetically-shielded speakers. The company I work for, (not Sony) makes some, so PM me for recommendations so this doesn't look like an ad.

I also am a fan of using tactile transducers in the cockpit. These attach to the fiberglass inside and prevent the need to cut holes. Do a search in SBO forums for TACTILE TRANSDUCERS and you will find discussions and a link to product examples.

You can also find the refurb/refit of my C27 in Catalina mid-size Forum. You can see how I did my install there

Phil

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I am close enough to the industry to tell you it's not Sony... :)

Nice work though. Good looking install!

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
are you certain? it REALLY looks like a Sony faceplate and connector, among other pieces.

PM me if you have details you don't want to post public.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
If it were, my buddy would sell it to them. I have some suspicions where it might come from but nope, not Sony... :D

Jan 3, 2013
thanks for the ideas, guys. Nice installation description on your blog, Brian. I am still looking for speakers to mount under the "Princess Seats" on the stern rail, unless anybody has advice against that location. They may be more exposed to the elements and spray, so that is a consideration. Phil, the tactile installation you are talking about is some kind of adhesive? I have had bad experiences with adhesives in hot climates, so am leery of that. Will check out the forum you suggested.

Cheers, Carey

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
thanks for the ideas, guys. Nice installation description on your blog, Brian. I am still looking for speakers to mount under the "Princess Seats" on the stern rail, unless anybody has advice against that location. They may be more exposed to the elements and spray, so that is a consideration. Phil, the tactile installation you are talking about is some kind of adhesive? I have had bad experiences with adhesives in hot climates, so am leery of that. Will check out the forum you suggested.

Cheers, Carey
Yes, one would use adhesives but not the ones supplied. I would use a thickened epoxy to glue the transducers in place. That way they are firmly attached.

As a side note, Watch out for cheap screws and hardware on many of the inexpensive marine enclosure and speaker pairss. Most will use a black oxide steel screw for assembly. Others will use what looks like stainless but has too little chrome to prevent rust. Rusty acres are easily replaced. But rust-stained gel is a bear to fix.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
As far as the draw goes, a common stereo can play for a week or more on a single battery. I generally hook my work truck stereo straight to the battery, so I don't have to have the acc. key on to listen to it. I rarely turn it completely off, and have never even come close to running a battery down.

(There used to be arguments from the electronics gurus, that said it was better to NEVER turn some things off, computers, etc, so they stayed warm all the time, as apposed to the heating, and then cooling of components). I have no idea.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
As far as the draw goes, a common stereo can play for a week or more on a single battery. I generally hook my work truck stereo straight to the battery, so I don't have to have the acc. key on to listen to it. I rarely turn it completely off, and have never even come close to running a battery down.

(There used to be arguments from the electronics gurus, that said it was better to NEVER turn some things off, computers, etc, so they stayed warm all the time, as apposed to the heating, and then cooling of components). I have no idea.
A typical 12V stereo is fused at 5 or 10 amps and at average listening levels with 4 speakers. Flat EQ, (bass and treble) and "normal" music, will pull 2-3 amps on average. Actual results are dependent upon actual use and personal preferences.

As for leaving on vs. cycling on and off, it makes no difference with most car stereos. The output is an integrated chip instead of Hand-wired discreet components. There are also no vacuum tubes that need to stabilize. You will not find any magical sound improvement from leaving your boat stereo on.

If you calculate battery drain based on 5A draw, you will have a good idea how long you can run without recharging.

Thought I would add to Chris' comments... :)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Start with a subwoofer and an amp to power it. Subwoofer, subwoofer, subwoofer. The rest it easy.:D

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I mounted a pair of Polyplanar speakers under the stern perch seats and on the forward bulkheads in the cabin.
http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod.php?9637/Full Size Box Speakers
I used the Sony Marine unit Phil has referred to with an XM module, got the wired remote but it's in the portside lazzarette cause the wire is too short and I can't commit to the 3 inch hole required for mounting.
Got my complete music library on a flashdrive in the USB port, also has aux in mini stereo jack I use to connect phone (Pandora, NPR) or laptop for movies.
The radio is too deep to fit behind panel next VHF without a spacer of some sort in front so I mounted under shelf adjacent.
I'm getting by without a sub woofer.;)

Jan 3, 2013
I'm getting by without a sub woofer.;)
Ted, I think I will be fine without a sub-woofer as well!!! Too many years around jet engines...

Great suggestions, guys, thanks! Looking forward to ripplin' some baht on good sound.

cheers,
carey

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
My P.O. installed our stereo just inside the main companionway hood. With the hatch open it is very easy to reach forward to change a station or CD track without the use of a remote, which always break or get corroded batteries in the marine environment eventually. Our speakers are self contained in the main cabin, & I installed two sealed units from W. Marine & placed them in the coming boxes at the sides of the cockpit, so I didn't have to drill a bunch of mounting holes. Only needed to drill a small hole inside the upper corner of the fiberglass coming box for the speaker wires. At first I though the mounting location for head unit was open to more exposure to the elements, but the unit is marinized & works great. You can easily see what the channel is set to, etc, since the stereo is in view from the helm, etc. The unit is mounted in a black box for the head unit, & the wiring was run in a teak wood channel that hides it nicely. You can also use white channel to conceal & protect wiring from exposure. See pic:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.