Coastal Sailing the C22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Kriz

While I'm waiting for the moment to tell my wife I want to drop $30,00 for a Catalina 30 I came across a C22 which would give me a neat little boat to learn on and satisfy by boat desire (at least for the time being). Question: Is the C22 safe for costal sailing in Southern Californa? I'm not talking about going out the islands, just sailing close to the coast and/or trailering to nearby lakes or even San Diego with my wife and daughter (7). Comments from those sailing the boat in this area would be much appreciated. Thank you. Tony Kriz tkriz@tkriz.darkhorizons.org

L

larry w.

C-22

Tony; You cannot find a finer boat for So. Cal. coastal sailing than the Catalina 22. I had one for seven years, before moving up to a C-30. The C-22 is an ideal learning platform. It's solidly built, forgiving, has good performance, will easily cruise a couple with a small kid (be sure you get one with the pop-top and the enclosure. If the boat you're looking at doesn't have a pop-top, move on, there are plenty out there that do) The trailer affords moving to distant waters at 55 MPH. A great cruise is to launch the boat near the Channel Islands, take the trailer to San Diego and leave it, return to the boat via the train, then cruise downwind. The C-22 is Channel Island capable and in fact can take more punishment than your body. Using a piece of plywood, you can turn the whole cabin into one huge bed. BTW, you don't need to spend 30K to get a really nice C-30, either. Questions? E-mail me.

S

Steve Christensen

C22 Coastie

Hey Tony. I gather from your post that you are new to sailing. Great! Welcome to our way of life. I should explain that I do not have a Catalina 22. But I did have an O'Day 192 (18' 7"), and a SeaWind 24 catamaran. I took the O'Day places where people in 30 footers thought I was nuts. The trick is, know your limitations. Ease into it. Learn alittle, practice, learn alittle more. The C22 is a super boat. Lake sailing, definitely, coastal sailing absolutely. I took the O'Day on 35 mile sails in the Gulf of Mexico. Learn ocean sailing close to the beach (beyond the sweels or you'll keep dumping your air out of your sails.) KNOW IT IS OK TO REEF when you feel uncomfortable, not when the other guy does it. When you feel good about sailing beyond the swells, go alittle further out, practice some coastal dead reckoning. Books abound and are a great way to spend the winter months. I do recommend this one, "Sailing Big on a Small Sailboat" by Jerry Cardwell. Great tips on outfitting your boat to sail big, without the $30K. He talks specifically to the Catalina 22, as well as suggests several other boats. Something to remember is the larger the boat, the more you'll spend on maintenance, more systems to maintain, the less you'll sail it, and sooner or later, you will probably end up selling it just to get out from under it. Ok, ok, off the soapbox. Have fun and welcome!

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners.com

Great boat!

You can quite easily sail that little puppy up & down the coast, etc. That's what it was made for! You could also consider the C25 or C27 for something a little more "beefy" that the family would feel more comfortable on. The 25 would be easily trailerable but you *can* trailer the 27. What an exciting time for you! LaDonna

T

tomD

just checked it out--looking good

Just spent 4 days sailing the Sunshine coast in a larger boat, with an eye out for what a C-22 would have been like. We had following seas, winds never over 22 knots. A reefed main and 110 jib would have handled anything. Near Vancouver there were lots of club Ranger 22's, C-22's and martin 24's playing in the whitecaps with little adieu. I'm convinced. Can't wait. And really amazed at some of the long passages you folks have made. It is inspiring. thanks tomD

T

tom

Excellent boat to learn on......

that's what everyone has told me about the c-22.found one at one of those places where u donate your car or boat..needs a little work, but, thats okay, helps me to get to know the boat better..everybody told me it was a great boat to use to learn and take to catalina island.. i plan on using mine mostly on the lakes. but cant wait to get good enough to try catalina or the channel islands..good luck,

J

Jason

My two bits

Tony, I've owned a 1988 wing keel C-22 for about a year and have some information tidbits regarding high wind and chop if it helps. I really like my boat and it suits our needs great, but if I had to call out an obvious weekness it would be its tenderness (tendency to lay on her ear) in high wind conditions going to windward. In the Columbia River gorge the summer winds routinely range from 15 knots all the way up to 35 knots and beyond! Much of my sailing on this boat has been in 20 to 25 knot winds - no bull. Close hauled in 25 knots I'm reach the limits of two reefs in the main and the 110 jib -- pray nothing breaks time and play the mainsheet continuously. If there are people on board with weak hearts, I have to put two reefs in the main, hank on the storm jib, and head to port in 25 knots. Wind chop here gets 4 to 5 feet very easily and is very very steep. One could easly beat a C-22 to death in these conditions going to windward. This boat was not made to continuously work in high winds. This last year my tiller straps and rudder was flexing so hard at times (shouldn't have been out in those conditions) that I've made the decision to beef up my steering gear this year. My opinion....stick to bays, lakes, rivers, or sheltered marine waters. I like to push things, but I wouldn't put my wife in our boat and head off the Oregon coast! Puget Sound in good weather - you bet. Good boats for most people and most places, but they have their limits. Good Luck

D

David

Just bought a C 22

I have been sailing for 10 years. I now own 3 classics...Sunfish...Hobie 16...and Catalina 22. I just bought my 22, because I have sailed several boats at our Club. The C 22 is a great boat to learn to sail. It will handle quite a bit of weather, but if you are on the open ocean be careful to stay out of the storms. I plan on taking my boat to the Texas coast and do some In Sight of Land sailing during the summer when the winds are lighter. These boats are great for trailering. It amazes me how well my V-6 pulls my "new" boat. I think that I made the right choice for this stage of learning. I hope to get into a bigger boat when I retire and do some voyaging. David

Status
Not open for further replies.