Coast Guard

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Many of you know that I am Coast Guard family and quite proud of it. Everyone by now knows that there is a Federal Government shutdown. I could probably argue its merits from both sides successfully in theory … I’m not writing about the merits of this annoyingly more commonplace political tactic used by both sides.

Here is my personal issue: Coast Guard personnel are defined as essential and are still working … and by the grace of god and a loophole they received their 12/31/2018 paycheck. The next paycheck is in jeopardy.

There is a “compensation resolution” on the table somewhere in this mess of negotiation and it needs to be moved. The shut-down is one thing, messing with people who are working is another. Asking those who put their lives on the line for the rest of us, who pluck us out of our stupidity when we don’t evacuate or get ourselves in over our heads whether on cruise ships, private boats, or other situations to serve without pay is quite another.

You’ve all paid your taxes … so I’m not asking anyone to donate to the Coast Guard Foundation … what I’m asking you to do is to contact your Congressional Representatives and Senators and request that they work with the Administration to pay people who are still working on our behalves. The money has been authorized, it needs to be appropriated. This is not just a Coast Guard issue, it is broadly impacting many of the departments in Homeland Security and probably other departments ... but I only know the facts about the Coast Guard.

I mean really, do we really want our Coast Guard professionals to be thinking about how to fund things for their families such as food, shelter, and diapers (this is real) … do we want them taking benefit time to work another paying job to pay their bills? And for anyone who doesn’t think their work is worthy … there is a 9/11 memorial to remind us all what happens when we let our guard down.

So … from this Coast Guard big brother … my brother has plucked hundreds of our fellow citizens off their rooftops in Katrina and served in many missions that I cannot share publicly that protected us. He and his colleagues deserve better.

Please help me help them in whatever way you can.

Thank you and Happy New Year,

Kev

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
There's a Coast Guard foundation?
Edit- just looked it up, and there is a CG foundation.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I tend towards fiscal conservatism, but using a government shutdown as a political maneuver to get your way is outrageous and completely counter to the benefits of even having a government. I'm sorry for you're brother. I have family in similar threatened jobs who are expected to work for the government and not get paid.
Please thank your brother for his service. It is truly and deeply appreciated.
While it is outrageous to ask employees who take their job to support their families and themselves. Most can choose to move to the private sector when they have opportunity. Those in the military have no choice and it becomes a form of forced servitude to expect that.
I will be more than happy to send a letter to my representatives in Washington. There is no partisanship that is worth this.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I recall the same kind of shutdown when I was in the Navy back in 1970 or '71.. not new..
You can tie Amazon purchases to the CG Foundation so that they get some dollars that way..
I have noted to our guys in Washington that their support of the compensation resolution.. Louisiana and the central Gulf coast has a huge need for the CG because of the large amount of commercial and private boat traffic..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'
ve been affected by shutdowns, both while in the CG and civil service. In fact, although most don't know it, there have been approximately 20 partial shutdowns since the 70's. In each one, employees were paid upon resolution and I'm sure this one will be no different. The Senate has already voted on such action which should embarrass the House into it as well.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I have always supported the Foundation. As a boater it just makes sense, I don't think of it as a "tip" as some of my fellow boaters have suggested but rather an obligation. I really feel for those working without receiving a check and can totally appreciate their sacrifice. Politically, I'm going to keep my opinions to myself. I do my political stuff in the ballot box.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
In each one, employees were paid upon resolution
When the shutdown happened because of sequestration occurred, those funded by working capital funds (WCF) were allowed to work until funding ran out (didn't happen), but headquarters (EOB) personnel did not receive back pay once the budget was passed.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Spoke with my US Senator about this the other day. Actually both my U.S. Senators had voted to provide continued funding to DHS/CG before Christmas. The old Republican House of Representatives majority refused to move on the funding legislation back then so it died in the House, but the same legislation has since been approved by the new Democratic House majority. Senate majority leader McConnell is refusing to bring it back to a vote in the Senate. He previously had a veto-proof Senate majority, so it should be a slam-dunk to get funding in place if he just does his job and brings it to a vote.

This funding also pays the TSA workers at the airports. They are going without pay. The longer this goes on the more people will have to go get a job that includes a regular paycheck. Hopefully our adversaries are in no position to take advantage of any security lapses. This is not a game.

May 28, 2015
I'
ve been affected by shutdowns, both while in the CG and civil service. In fact, although most don't know it, there have been approximately 20 partial shutdowns since the 70's. In each one, employees were paid upon resolution and I'm sure this one will be no different. The Senate has already voted on such action which should embarrass the House into it as well.
Don:
First, thank you for your service. I agree that this is by far not the first "shutdown rodeo". What is making this one a bit different however is that it is already closing in on the length of the longest shutdown ever coupled with rhetoric from both sides leading folks in the trenches to believe this will likely go on for quite a long time.

All:

I have to be very careful with what I share but within this group I think its safe to share a direct quote from a petty officer on a hangar deck "an issue even the XO and Master Chief can't fix".

As a nephew of a Naval Master Chief, when an issue is perceived to be beyond even that set of capabilities in the eyes of a petty officer ... we have reached unprecedented levels.

If any of you live nearby a Coast Guard station, perhaps simply letting them know you appreciate what they are doing and you will do what you can to help ensure their families receive the relatively small compensation for their sacrifice I'm sure would be appreciated ... I know here in NJ at some time in the next several days at least one team is likely to have to jump in a boat and go do their jobs in frigid conditions ... may god bless them.

May 28, 2015
I tend towards fiscal conservatism, but using a government shutdown as a political maneuver to get your way is outrageous and completely counter to the benefits of even having a government. I'm sorry for you're brother. I have family in similar threatened jobs who are expected to work for the government and not get paid.
Please thank your brother for his service. It is truly and deeply appreciated.
While it is outrageous to ask employees who take their job to support their families and themselves. Most can choose to move to the private sector when they have opportunity. Those in the military have no choice and it becomes a form of forced servitude to expect that.
I will be more than happy to send a letter to my representatives in Washington. There is no partisanship that is worth this.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will, I will pass your thank you along ...

May 28, 2015
Spoke with my US Senator about this the other day. Actually both my U.S. Senators had voted to provide continued funding to DHS/CG before Christmas. The old Republican House of Representatives majority refused to move on the funding legislation back then so it died in the House, but the same legislation has since been approved by the new Democratic House majority. Senate majority leader McConnell is refusing to bring it back to a vote in the Senate. He previously had a veto-proof Senate majority, so it should be a slam-dunk to get funding in place if he just does his job and brings it to a vote.

This funding also pays the TSA workers at the airports. They are going without pay. The longer this goes on the more people will have to go get a job that includes a regular paycheck. Hopefully our adversaries are in no position to take advantage of any security lapses. This is not a game.
Since both sides have mud on their uniforms, what I'm trying to advocate for is that they yank the compensation resolution out and approve that on its own (which would likely be unanimously approved by both House and Senate and signed swiftly by the White House). In this way, those who must continue to report to work can do so. Its probably the one thing everyone can agree upon and it actually would serve to strengthen both sides positions by getting this off the table.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Since both sides have mud on their uniforms, what I'm trying to advocate for is that they yank the compensation resolution out and approve that on its own (which would likely be unanimously approved by both House and Senate and signed swiftly by the White House). In this way, those who must continue to report to work can do so. Its probably the one thing everyone can agree upon and it actually would serve to strengthen both sides positions by getting this off the table.
A resolution to compensate government workers (including law officers and ) has the same meaning as Whimpy saying, “ I will gladly pay you Thursday for a hamburger Tuesday.” It is not a law, it does not include appropriated funding, and the president has said he will not sign anything that does not fund his wall. “Resolving” to pay these workers is a hollow gesture, and provides no guarantee that the Senate will do so, or the president will sign funding. Just fund their agencies and pay for the services rendered, now. I think most Americans would be surprised how many workers simply can’t self-fund through a furlough.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I know that the CG has a job that most people don't want to do and should be paid. As a outsider looking in wanting 5.6B for a wall that would take years to build, why put good working people lives on the line. The news has already shown TSA workers calling in sick or are they finding a job that they need to pay their bills. More of this will happen the longer the shutdown last. I just hope that no lives will be lost because of this.

May 28, 2015
A resolution to compensate government workers (including law officers and ) has the same meaning as Whimpy saying, “ I will gladly pay you Thursday for a hamburger Tuesday.” It is not a law, it does not include appropriated funding, and the president has said he will not sign anything that does not fund his wall. “Resolving” to pay these workers is a hollow gesture, and provides no guarantee that the Senate will do so, or the president will sign funding. Just fund their agencies and pay for the services rendered, now. I think most Americans would be surprised how many workers simply can’t self-fund through a furlough.
Gunni - I wasn’t clear ... the “compensation resolution” is a formal appropriation limited to essential workers who are compelled to work through the shutdown. It would need to be passed by the House and Senate and signed by the President. They already did this for the Defense Department to avoid the military going without pay. The intel I have is that all sides support it and that the President would sign it if passed. I would personally like to see a law that auto-appropriates money for essential workers compelled to work through shutdowns but that would likely be unconstitutional.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I know that the CG has a job that most people don't want to do
I never understood that statement. Folks are in the CG because they volunteer and want to be there. I know that many folks become disenchanted with military and civil service, but it's a really good life for many. I can't help but notice the number of people in these forums whom have past and present military service and seem to be really proud of the life they have. It comes with risk, for sure, but I haven't really noticed in here any folks whom seem to regret their service. I never served, and there are times when I believe I missed out on something that I should have done, for whatever reason. So, like I said, I never understood that statement.

That said, I have a step-son whom works for FAA now for a few years and he is going to work right now without any sight of a pay check. He doesn't seem to be that concerned or unhappy at the moment. For one thing, he has an astonishing salary for a young fella. The salary, training and benefits far exceeds his income and opportunity for experience when he was an employee in the private sector. I know people tend to spend what they earn, but he isn't living hand to mouth by a long shot. He goes to work every day because he believes it is his responsibility and because he has confidence that he will be paid. He doesn't like seeing some whom sullenly call in "sick". He doesn't look at this temporary difficulty as a set-back to his career.

All in all, though, politics are sick when two opposing sides are constantly acting like children, and negatively affecting people whom are willing to do their jobs. Both sides have something they want. This is the silliest stand-off and it is entirely avoidable when the political leaders simply pull there heads out from where the sun don't shine. It's obviously on both sides.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
they already did this for the Defense Department to avoid the military going without pay
Just to be clear, the DoD budget was appropriated a couple months ago; it wasn't something done as part of this shutdown.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I heard that it's very difficult to get into the CG and they can only accept a small percentage of applicants. (<10%?)

May 28, 2015
I heard that it's very difficult to get into the CG and they can only accept a small percentage of applicants. (<10%?)
This is definitely accurate as it pertains to the Coast Guard Academy, it is one of the most competitive undergraduate programs in the country. As for enlisted, I don't have facts to back that up. What I do know is that the Coast Guard is routinely studied as a model for nimble large institutions. Different from the Department of Defense, they are driven by bottom up decision-making driven from their mission (not dissimilar to the Navy where most decision-making power is vested in the vessel's captain). I could go on for days ...

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
We all appreciate the service of the Coast Guard and all branches of service. They take an oath to serve, protect and sometimes requires the ultimate sacrifice. Sacrifice is something military personnel understand and freely do especially in the case of a national emergency. When thousands of unknown people storm our boarder, something needs to be done. A wall is not the only answer to this problem but it is a part. A wall is certainly not "immoral" as some have declared. I'm sure they will all get paid in due time but some may need help in the mean time. Coast Guard Foundation sounds like an excellent way to help.