Coaming Treads Teak C-30 Mk II

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Has anyone refinished the coaming treads on their C30?

Mine keep falling off when I step on them, they appear to have been bedded in caulk. I removed them, but now need to remove all the caulk, which is a PITA. I would also like to refinish, but not sure how. Also, they appear to have a texture to them that I do want to lose. I guess I could mix sand with some Cetol, or maybe use non-skid to provide the foot grip. Any ideas are or advice is appreciated.

IMG_1046.jpg

Thank you,
Snoopy

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I added step treads to my mk-1 and screwed them down. A #8 oval head screw near each corner, countersunk heads.

you might want to fill the grooves with black silicone, slightly humped above the surface for non slip.

• Helpful
May 19, 2016
I added step treads to my mk-1 and screwed them down. A #8 oval head screw near each corner, countersunk heads.

you might want to fill the grooves with black silicone, slightly humped above the surface for non slip.
Someone told me they screwed them in from below, maybe with a small stainless steel angle bracket, which made them removable. The one's I have were caulked in, so I will have to scrape and dig the old caulk out. I had hoped to bring them home, lightly sand them, then varnish them with Cetol, but I didn't want them to lose their tooth and become slippery. When I come to the cockpit I step on them all the time.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
If you step on the all the time, hopefully it’s with non slip boat shoes.
Cetol won’t be there very long anyway. It’s a soft, not very durable finish.

May 19, 2016
I usually wear Sperrys, sometimes bare feet, as I get older I find I fall quite easily for many reasons.