Coach roof core replacement 1978 H27

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
I’ve got a soft spot about 10 inches in diameter, just aft of the starboard hand rail. Has anyone on here replaced the coach roof core on this vintage of a Hunter? What did you find and what did you replace the old core with? Thank you.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Brokenarm- Thank you for uploading the pictures. This is super helpful. What material did you use as the new core and did you re-use the old fiberglass top that you cut away? Thank you

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I have done a 80 Hunter 33 and parts of a 81 Hunter 37C. The 33 was cored with 1/2" balsa, the 37 with blocks of marine ply. Also repaired many other vessels with core issues.
Unless using the drill-lots-of-holes and let them dry then inject thickened epoxy method, which in the north would require heat blankets, vacuum and a month of Sundays, I would avoid the epoxy.
I now attach the coring to the existing skin with a product called CoreBond. It is a lightweight super strong polyester product designed for this purpose. Easy to use and applied with a serrated spreader- just don't mix too much at one time. I wouldn't re-use the top skin but if I were to I would again use the CoreBond. I find it faster, stronger and easier to fair if I glass the top layer in 1707 stitchmat and polyester resin. Good luck, and remember, you are having fun as long as you avoid the dreaded ITCH.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
I used end grain balsa, cut on a band saw to 1/2'' to 5/8' thick...clean and dry area.,,use west systems epoxy,, get the pumps, makes it easier to mix,,and the powder filler,,,,,stagger the pattern as you go along,, I mixed at a 12 pump of each mixture and got as far as the one photo attached...you don't want to mix up too much at at time it sets up fast when ever it decides lol ......
I put down alignment marks to make sure the mast step panel got back into original position
I have some short clips of my work on my u tube channel g daDamos
This is super helpful. I’m hoping the soft spot turns out to be about the size I’m predicting it is and not a bigger mess. But, I’ll be follow your YouTube videos along the way and posting to this thread once I get started.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
There was no mention of cutting from the bottom. And I have re-cored from the bottom in special circumstances. There are a few techniques that make it tolerable but definitely not my preferred method.