CNG vs Propane

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gene Kinney

Has anyone switched from CNG to Propane? What has to be changed?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Check Archives...

..there was a thread on this subject not long ago. Good luck.

L

Les Blackwell

Yes, but it was expensive!

I had CNG which I liked very much but it is not available as much in my area and not at all heading north to Alaska, so I had to switch. I sold the H 35.5 which had CNG and bought the H 380 which has propane which why it is expensive. However, to be serious for a moment, I did convert a Vison 32 from CNG to propane and it wasn't that hard. West Marine had a box for 2 small propane tanks and we established a hose to run overboard from the box so any leaks was sent over the side. We put a sniffer on the boat and wired that in to the sylanoid in the box. Then I put in a top of the line stove that fit--I think it was for Force 10 but I don't remember. At that time, it cost me about $1500 dollars (the stove was $900) including some labor for the electrical work which I didn't want to do. It was easier to buy a new boat. :)

D

Don

I'll buy your CNG is you are selling.

It would be a nice step up from my alcohol and it's available in my area. let me know. dcdon@hotmail.com

B

Bryan

CNG refills

http://www.corpbrothers.com under marine products lists a few places in NY that sell CNG, don't know if any of them are at all close to you.

G

Gene Kinney

Ugrade to CNG

Hi Don, No, I'm not interested in selling the CNG. But I have a Force `0 Propane cabin heater for sale, used 1 season. with all pipes etc $275 thanks Gene

G

Gene Kinney

Bigger Boat?

Hi Les, I certainly sounds like it would be easier to get a bigger boat than do the retrofit. I'm not so sure I can even handle this one yet. Just bought it from my son who moved to San Francisco. Gene

G

Gene Kinney

Eureka! I Found GAS

Thanks Brian for the Corpbrothers.com web site. It was a big help! I can send my tank to them and they will fill and return it UPS same day turnaround. They also have a nationwide list of dealers on their site. Thanks again. Gene

P

Paul Akers

Gene...

...I live 5 miles from a Corp Bros. in Providence. Have done business with them for 6 years and very satisfied. I have also seen CNG a bit closer to you in Greenport, NY (Brewer's Greenport Marina) and also on the Connecticut River in Essex.

B

Bryan C.

Gene, I'm glad you found GAS. I have another good recommendation for you. TUMS. :)

B

Bryan C.

GAS recommendation

Gene, I'm glad you found GAS. I have another good recommendation for you. TUMS. :)

G

Greg Cramer

CNG to Propane

I switched to Propane by: Adding a solenoid at the bottle Adding a shutoff switch in the galley Replacing the fuel hose Adding 2 6 lb bottles (West) They fit in the same space Replacing the orifices in the stove This was a little bit of work but not tough. Greg on Temptation

J

Jim Oursler in Rockwall

explosive upgrades

The guys who sell propane and CNG systems espouse them. I saw a rather large fire two years ago in San Diego. The hot gases are truely hot on a sailboat. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.