CNG to propane conversion

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well CNG just became too much trouble to use so I converted to propane.
I reused the CNG regulator and mounted the tank off the stern. after adjusting the regulator pressure (the big gray one, you don't need the smaller one BTW) and installing a propane quick connect fitting the stove/oven worked just like they always did except that the Cook says the flames are hotter. I did not have to re-jet the stove/oven just adjust the regulator pressure!!!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Bill not surprising, the jets for natural gas are roughly twice the size as the jets used for LPG. The stove will burn hotter and consume the fuel faster. Attaining a desired low burner setting might be difficult. I'm not sure about the change or rise in CO emissions but make sure the cabin is well ventilated when the stove is in use. Enjoy your conversion.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good job ! I am surprised that there was that much adjustability in the regulator.
Propane has 2516 BTU per cubic foot of gas where natural gas has 1030.. so propane is "hotter"

Jun 6, 2006
it is all about flow rates, a bigger hole at lower pressure will flow the same and vica-verca. And we are only talking a couple of PSI at most at the stove. My concern was the air mix at the burner. Initially the flames had yellow tips at "full throttle". after lowering the pressure they now have blue tips and it works all the way down to minimum just fine.

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
No solenoid? I have cng, too. My marina has it, but no where else i sail to.

Ben

Jun 6, 2006
We did not go with a solenoid. We just turn off the gas at the bottle when we are not using it.

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Just l8ke when we use propane gas grills at home. I think that's the best. Then, you don't need power to cook.

Ben