CNG Tank Safety Cap Source?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I looked online, but could not find any source. There certainly must be one. I just picked up two (new) tanks and they were without caps. These tend to get detached and lost, so I would like to have a couple of spares. I don't feel comfortable having my spare tank in the locker without a cap and risk having the valve inadvertently turned on. I guess I could try to figure out who the distributor is and ask them, but I thought I would throw this out there in case anyone had successfully searched before.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@Rick D I'm with you, I intend to keep my CNG as long as I can. I found a place to fill my tanks in Savannah and with a throttle valve to slow fill them I feel comfortable doing it. So far they have not had problem with that but that could change. I have two tanks but would like to get my hands on at least one more. Where did you procure them?

Have you tried to call an industrial gas supplier? They may have a source. I know some sell methane, which is really CNG and probably uses the same cap? Just guessing.

• Helpful

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I got my second tank from a marine salvage place and then exchanged it. I use exchange tanks rather than trying to fill my own. That works as long as there is a source, but that will change someday and I'll get an adapter. BTW, thanks for the hint about methane. A neighbor owns a gas supply company. He may have a source. Sometimes we overlook the obvious!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
BTW, thanks for the hint about methane.
Hi Rick, checked into the methane alternative locally and found that the supplier here has the tanks filled back east with medical grade methane and then shipped back; very expensive. Still trying to find a CNG refill solution, but no luck thus far.