CNG Tank Refills

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i understand markwbird's statement. of course.
however, we sailors that use cng are having a harder and harder time finding places to fill. by getting a heads up for availability is nice. we all mention where to buy things amongst ourselves. i for one am glad to hear about such availability.
cng is the perfect match for my boat. very safe. i believe the safest option for sailors. i for one am glad to get this information here on this forum.
i will write this info down now in case it get removed.

this is very helpfull info for me.
j m $0.02

May 25, 2012
peter, do you refill my tanks or is it exchange only?
i'm a refill guy.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Anyone know of a place in Western NY?
I've been told by the two large marinas in our area that there is no CNG exchange available North of Virginia, a few weeks ago.

Apr 26, 2013
Hunter Legend 37.5 Chicago (31st Street Harbor)
I have been looking for a place to exchange or refill in the Chicago area. Anybody know of one?

Apr 24, 2014
S2 9.2 brady mt resort lake ouachita
mine ran out 5 years ago and I sent it to a guy in rhode island i'll try and find his name and get back to ya'll

May 25, 2012
so, i bought the adapter from the first video. you can slow fill it easier. AND i am going the make a gas tank holder like the one used in video #2. would hate for the tank to fall over.
went and talked to the service that hydro tests my tank when needed. they said it was doable.
super fast filling heats up the tank. then when cooled the pressure will be less.
there will be a learning curve.

love my CNG system. want to continue to use it. less than $5.00 a fill.

BUT, is it legal, i am a pirate wanna be :)

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
so, i bought the adapter from the first video. you can slow fill it easier.
super fast filling heats up the tank. then when cooled the pressure will be less.
there will be a learning curve.
Right. You don't want to fill them to where they settle out at 70F to more than the rated pressure .
Not having a way to measure the temperature, other than my hand, I usually fill to about 5 to 10% over and they settle to a little under where they should be when cooled off.

Maximum Pressures

Containers are designed to be filled to a pressure not exceeding any of the following conditions:
a. A pressure that would settle to 1.0 times the service pressure at a settled temperature of 21 C (70 F)
b. A settled pressure of 1.25 times the service pressure at 57 C (135 F); or
c. 1.25 times the service pressure immediately after filling, regardless of temperature
Note: The fill pressure shall be temperature compensated to prevent pressures from exceeding the maximum pressures that are defined.

• Helpful
Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Anyone know of a place in Western NY?

Yes there is a place I used to take my tanks to. CNG refill
Like a scuba tank, CNG tanks must be safety inspected periodically. Make sure you can fill yours - date wise. Otherwise NFG won't fill it. An industrial tank/safety company can o it for you. I think tanks are good for 5 years.
Old price years ago at NFG was $40 for first tank, then $1 for each additional tank, so it pays to have friends with 1. inspected, 2. empty CNG takes. Do the math.
Good luck