CNG 2 Burner vs Propane

jakez

Nov 19, 2012
Catalina 36 Santa Monica, CA
Anyone have any opinions on a CNG two burner stove versus the propane? I had planned on putting in the propane stove at some point, but I came across a deal on the CNG version. Wondering if anyone has experience with the CNG?
(82 Catalina 30)

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
CNG is hard to find and usually expensive. The tank has to be inspected periodically. Stoves are dime a dozen. I threw mine in the trash because nobody wanted it. After looking at the cost and complexity of propane, I went with non pressurized alcohol (Origo) and couldn't be happier .

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If CNG is available near you, it's great. We have it on our 1986 boat, which we've owned since 1998. We have a "swap tank" chandlery within 1/4 mile of our marina, and many skippers have made refill systems (http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=CNG_Refill_Adapter).

Sources for CNG can be found here: http://www.cngnow.com/stations/Pages/information.aspx#

Stoves can be changed over from one fuel to another. Some folks don't like either and use alcohol, often the Origos as noted in the other reply.

Your boat, your choice. If the fuel's hard to get, why bother?

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I have CNG, 2 burner w/ oven and love it. I do the tank exchange at Alamitos fuel dock in Long Beach, no problem. I even have my BBQ plumbed into the shipboard CNG system, works great.

I carry 2 tanks, use one to depletion then switch over. Next time near Long Beach I make the swap and we're good to go for another year +.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
I have CNG, 2 burner w/ oven and love it. I do the tank exchange at Alamitos fuel dock in Long Beach, no problem. I even have my BBQ plumbed into the shipboard CNG system, works great.

I carry 2 tanks, use one to depletion then switch over. Next time near Long Beach I make the swap and we're good to go for another year +.
I have CNG also. Natural gas is lighter than air and drifts up. Propane is heavier than air whereby it seeks the lowest point on boat if not properly vented. One CNG tank lasts at least six months as I'm more of a weekend sailor.. I travel by car a good bit in my business. I live in Columbia SC and purchase CNG in Charlotte NC 90miles away. No big deal to me.

You setup should include solenoid shut off with tank for additional safety per my survey.

I do use propane on magna grill. Store the small green bottles in a white 6" PVC tube that has caps on each end tube is attached to stanchion on port side.

Fair winds,

Lew