Closed Cell Foam for cushions.....

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
I need to replace the foam in my cockpit cushions on my 2000 340. They‘re just stiff and uncomfortable. What suggestions do you have for replacements? Mine were originally 2 inch thick, but I think I would go with 2 1/2 inch for a little more cushion and the cover will handle the extra thickness.
And how do you clean your canvas (Bimini’s, Dodgers)? I’m thinking a car wash hand held wand, as I don’t have a power washer and a garden hose just doesn’t do the job.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Re. Sunbrella, it's not the pressure, it's the chemical.

a. PW or strong chemical with remove the factory water repellent. Don't go down this road unless it is older. Otherwise, gentle cleaning only.
b. Try borax + TSP and let it soak for the 30 minutes first. Then scrub brush. MUCH safer than power washing. The borax will kill the mildew.
c. Prevent the return. Try spraying with Wet-and-Forget (mildewcide). After it's dry, treat with approved water repellent (faster drying prevents mildew growth).

If stains remain, consider a long (4 hours) soak with Oxiclean. This can be done in place by keeping it wet (pump-up garden sprayer is handy). Do this after cleaning but before treating.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a look at Sailrite.com. They have information on the different types of foam and how to construct cushions.

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
It’s not that they have mildew, but its more of just imbedded grime. That has actually dulled the color (Navy Blue). I have them both soaking in a large container that fits them nicely. They still have the repellent intact as they don’t really get soaked, the water and soap rolls right off.
Thats why I thought of power washing. The fabric/stitching is solid so I think they could withstand a good spray.

The foam in the cushions are another story, just have lost their integrity, turned yellow and rock hard. Time for new.
I have never left them out in the weather, always stored them in the boat when I left for the day, but did they ever dry up.
I don’t think they are the same quality foam as is the foam thats available today. I’ll contact Sailrite for their input.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Well you brought up the same subject(s) I have also.
Last year I had to have my Bimini restitched. The stitching just let go, but the fabric was in great shape, all though very dirty. The sailmaker said use Tide with Oxi and soak a few hours. Like “thinwater” suggested to you, and it did the trick.
They came out looking like new again. I use Starbrite Waterproofing on mine and it has served me well over the years.
As for the foam, mine has had it also.
I’ll be ordering new Stern Rail Cushions from right here at SBO Store. I did send a message to them regarding the density/firmness of the foam and asked them to try to explain it to me, because when you are talking about replacing something old with new without actually feeling it, it gets confusing real fast. And the different grades of foam are large.
I’ll let you know what they say when I hear.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The title of your thread is Closed Cell Foam for cushions...

What foam have you found that's close cell yet soft enough for cockpit cushions?

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
+1 on comment from @Will Gilmore above. Closed cell foam is typically quite dense and hard. Think the kneeling rails in catholic churches.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ensolite is a closed cell foam that is fairly soft especially in thicker sizes. The thin versions will bottom out quickly. Ensolite is commonly used in PFDs, the comfortable higher end PFDs. Back in the day, I used to sleep on ½" ensolite when backpacking.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I've made two sets for cockpit cushions. One set for my Bene and a set for a customer. I used 2" open cell fast dry foam from Sailrite. They cushioins are comfortable and if they get wet dries really fast. The only advantage I see with the close cell foam, is that they will float.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Ensolite is a closed cell foam that is fairly soft especially in thicker sizes. The thin versions will bottom out quickly. Ensolite is commonly used in PFDs, the comfortable higher end PFDs. Back in the day, I used to sleep on ½" ensolite when backpacking.
Very interesting. I'd like to try some out. Closed cell foam is great material.

dj

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A friend with a sister ship to ours had closed cell foam cockpit cushions and I found them hard and uncomfortable.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I need to replace the foam in my cockpit cushions on my 2000 340..............What suggestions do you have for replacements?..................
I have purchased white fabric with navy blue corded cushions from this site for all my sailboats. These cushions are made of 2" closed-cell foam covered with Sunsure, a woven fabric made with PVC-coated yarn and delivery is relatively fast. The cushions float, dry quickly, won't absorb water, and are resistant to mildew, rot, and UV rays. They hold up really well, are comfortable and easy to clean with mild boat soap and water.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I spoke with Sailrite and they suggest.....
“Going forward I would recommend a High Density medium firm or firm feel PU foam. It will last longer and break down slower”
Either with or without Antimicrobial properties. Both come in 2 inch thickness and different lengths and widths.
Check them out if your coverings are in good condition and you only need the foam insert, and cut your own shape.
Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
So is the original post going to do his own cushions?. I have purchased foam for buyfoam.com and posted a procedure on this forum for installing it into existing cushion fabric............its a little tricky.

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
sail sfbay
I do plan on buying and cutting new foam for my cushions. The fabric is in great condition, it's the foam that lost it integrity, getting hard, yellow and completely uncomfortable.
I'll try your link to buyfoam.com, the confusing part is buying foam without getting to feel the firmness.
Where is your post on new foam and your technique. I'd be interested in reading that.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
confusing part is buying foam without getting to feel the firmness
Call BuyFoam.com to see if they can send you some samples. They were very nice when I screwed up the dimensions. No charge for the few extra inches I needed and it didn't increase processing time

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Made a small hole in the film and attached a vacuum cleaner hose then turned the vacuum on to shrink the cushion foam before inserting into the fabric cover. This made foam installation easy and ensured it filled the cushion cover evenly, all the way into the corners.
I thought I was slick by putting parts of the foam in a plastic bag but this is genius!