Closed body turnbuckles

Gordon

Apr 30, 2009
Beneteau 473 St. Petersburg, FL
Lubing closed body turnbuckles and realized there are no locking nuts to lock the turnbuckle once it is adjusted. Is there supposed to be locking nuts and they were removed to give more travel or is there another way to lock them? Thanks Gordon

Oct 15, 2015
Lock nuts are generally the standard for closed body turn barrels. If they were open body they would be called turnbuckles (which use lock pins). One of the nuts on a turn barrel should be left hand thread.

Gazuum

Oct 23, 2010
Pearson P365K Port Angeles
Does anyone else have turn barrels on their standing rigging
and if so do they have jam nuts?
Thanks
Gordon

On 8/28/2018 11:26 AM, Tim Malone
alaskaflyfish@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

May 30, 2006
I recently bought the closed body CHINESE units.
Dont do it.
I researched really hard and thought I could beat the odds. I could find the one chinese gem.
Once I received them, looking down the threads, they are all misshapen and random. They do polish the outsides nice. So they look pretty.

It turns out, that I am friends with the sailboat angel of death on the upper chesapeake bay. He disassembles sailboats all the time. I saw some beautiful bronze turnbuckles and procured them.

I looked at my original Vega turnbuckles under a jewelers loop and saw the cracks on most of them.
If you have the originals, you should do this also.

groundhog

Jul 2, 2016
I had closed body turnbuckles on my Catalina 22. They all had jam nuts on both ends to lock the the toggles from turning.. If they don't lock, they will loosen up. This I have seen. I prefer open body turnbuckles, they don't hold in water, can inspect easier, etc. Closed body turnbuckles can and will corrode inside the turnbuckle body, or the "barrel" as some call it, and they will loosen up if not secured to keep from turning.This is from my personal experience, hope this helps. On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:22 PM, "Gordon gazuum@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Does anyone else have turn barrels on their standing rigging
and if so do they have jam nuts?
Thanks
Gordon

On 8/28/2018 11:26 AM, Tim Malone
alaskaflyfish@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

Gazuum

Oct 23, 2010
Pearson P365K Port Angeles
Don't know if these were original. As for jam nuts, 3/8 24 LEFT
hand in 316 seems impossible to find. Found them in 18-8 but not
Where did you see the cracks?
Thanks
Gordon

On 8/28/2018 7:36 PM, groundhog
groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

May 30, 2006
If you research stainless marine failures and such you will find several different instructions on checking things.Turnbuckles are under stress. As they age tiny cracks develop, water gets in and prevents oxygen from getting to the stainless. The one way you can get stainless to rust/corrode is to prevent oxygen from getting to it.Use a magnifying glass. Also if you do see some rust on stainless, that should draw your attention to that spot.groundhog"Gordon gazuum@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Don't know if these were original. As for jam nuts, 3/8 24 LEFT
hand in 316 seems impossible to find. Found them in 18-8 but not
Where did you see the cracks?
Thanks
Gordon

On 8/28/2018 7:36 PM, groundhog
groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] wrote: