Close-hauled tactics

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
From time to time we sail our Beneteau 36cc with closed-hauled sails (as close to the wind as possible.)

I have found that we are not able to get closer than 50-60 degrees to the wind (course over ground). Is this in line with what otters experience ?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Re: Clode-hauled tactics

You measuring degrees of tack and dividing by 2 of difference of compass headings?

Many mistake apparent winds influence... and underestimate it... only true way to know your tacking angles, is to take a bearing, before the tack and take it again after... Keep in mind most sailors will over correct during a tack to foot and get the boat back up to speed (unless you are AC quality, you'll lose some speed during a tack).. so get maximum point on port tack... take a bearing... then tack.. wait until you are back up to speed again, take a bearing again, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Also, Point, actual tightest close hauled course, is a very complex interaction of sails, trim, lift, drag, wind speed, etc. The biggest mistake I see people make? They assume that the traveler has to be no higher than centerline. NO, the leech of the main has to be no higher than centerline. If mainsheet is eased (lifting the boom a bit if the vang is eased), the main traveler needs to be higher than centerline to get the leech as close to centerline as possible to get max point. Sorry if this is all old hat for you.. but not sure what you tried yet.

Then there are the obvious things... Sails new? Have you checked draft to make sure it's max is in the first 40% of the sails? Genoa car placement? Outhaul? Have you boarded out the main? Backstay on (depending on wind speed)... etc. how about the bottom? Is it clean? Faired?, templated?

Sorry, there is an awful lot to point.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD

Here's the polar diagram for a similar Bene-36: http://www.buy-a-boat.com/images/Bene36s7_sailplan.jpg (upper RH corner)

... your limit at closehauled should be close to 45°-50° TRUE wind (not apparent wind, as apparent wind changes/varies with boat speed and sailing angle).

Also as the immediate previous post highlights, the SHAPE and position of the mainsails leech is the probable key to 'tight' pointing ability, the aft section of the leech will be close to parallel with the boats centerline or slightly 'to weather', etc. etc. etc. and all other shape & trim done to near 'absolute perfection'.

The pic attached below is the polar diagram for a ~similar/typical shaped hull @ 41ft. LOA.
Beneteau should be able to supply you with the 'polars' of your B36cc.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
Thank you for Good points and views

1. I should definitely measure the compass course angel to eliminate the influence of drift and.currents.

2. Good point about traveller :)

The angel on the mainsail is 15-20 degrees close than the genua.

I suspect this is due to forestay beeing too slack (it has a S curve when at close haul)

Is tightening the backstays the best way of doing this ?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley

My understanding is that otters can swim directly into the wind.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Thank you for Good points and views

1. I should definitely measure the compass course angel to eliminate the influence of drift and.currents.

2. Good point about traveller :)

The angel on the mainsail is 15-20 degrees close than the genua.

I suspect this is due to forestay beeing too slack (it has a S curve when at close haul)

Is tightening the backstays the best way of doing this ?
Your jib angle ..... Degrees from the tack/centerline to the fairlead car should be in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 degrees!!!