clogged toliet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2005
- - Pensacola
A guest clogged my Jabsco manual toilet with too much toilet paper. Any suggestions on clearing other than disconnecting hose between toilet and Y valve

G

Clogged head

When we first purchased our boat in 2002 I thought our electric toilet was clogged between it and the tank because it would not evacuate the bowl contents. So I disconnected the discharge hose from the toilet and with an adapter connected a city water hose to clear the line. It worked to the extent that that line was not the problem, tank vent line was clogged. Use the same procedure to clear it. Just use care because normal city water pressure (60 PSI plus) can cause problems.

Peggie Hall will probably advise against the procedure that I used because of the harm city pressure can do to a boat's low pressure sewage system. What I mean by that is do not hook up city water and walk away and come back later. Our boat has a SS tank, which was full at the time we took possession. I just did a quick burst of water to confirm that the line was clear, then checked other parts of the system to determine the real cause of the blockage.

Terry Cox

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It may clear itself

A guest clogged my Jabsco manual toilet with too much toilet paper. Any suggestions on clearing other than disconnecting hose between toilet and Y valve
If the toilet paper was Marine-RV toilet paper or any other cheap flimsy TP that practically dissolves in your hand if it gets wet, the clog will dissolve on its own in a couple of hours. If, otoh, your guest flushed something else that shouldn't go down a marine toilet, you won't have any choice except to disconnect the discharge line from the toilet and remove it...Terry's method would work IF the clog IS in the liine between the toilet and the tank. If it's in the toilet, you'll have to take the pump apart to clean it out. However, sending it into the tank has its own possible peril: a clogged tank discharge hose. So hope for the best.

Guests are responsible for at least 95% of toilet clogs. Half of those wouldn't happen if owners would just take the time to tell guests that NOTHING goes into the toilet they haven't eaten first and a limited amount of the TP provided. If "limited amount" is a concept you don't thing they can grasp, put a special little "diaper pail" and in the head and tell 'em that EVERYthing including the TP they haven't eaten first goes into it. If they STILL clog the toilet, enjoy their company only on land from now on. :naughty:

Jan 2, 2010
Hunter 37.5 Melbourne, FL
Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing the discharge line from the head to the holding tank on my Hunter Legend 37.5. It has greatly restricted flow from chemical buildup in the line.

-ken

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ken:

I would get a barbed hose coupling. Disconnect the hose from the toilet & tank and pull the hose through. Typicall they fit together so tight that you not need hose clamps on the coupling. I would suggest that you clean out the hose the best you can before attempting this.

Have you considered pumping white vinegar through the hose and letting it sit for a couple of days before you even try to replace it?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No need to replace hose if mineral buildup is only problem

Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing the discharge line from the head to the holding tank on my Hunter Legend 37.5. It has greatly restricted flow from chemical buildup in the line. -ken
Only two reasons to replace sanitation hoses: 1. They stink. 2. They're so old that they've become hard and brittle and are starting to crack.

What you have isn't chemical buildup, it's sea water calcium carbonate and urine crystal buildup...and if that's you're only problem, it's easy to clean out:

Drop by your local hardware store and buy a quart of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid ...flush a cupful of it full strength down the toilet...wait an hour...flush clean water through to rinse. That oughta do it. Muriatic acid will not harm anything in the system, but follow all instructions for handling very carefully.

To prevent mineral buildup in the hoses, flush a cupful of undiluted distilled white vinegar--WHITE vinegar, not cider (which you can get from any grocery store) all the way through the system once a week just before the boat will sit. Flush it all the way through to the tank...do not leave it sitting in the bowl.

If you think YOU have buildup, check this out

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.