Climbing my mast? Hire someone or woman-up? :)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yay! Found it!
Heather, Bad news; that’s not the vhf coax cable! The one that you’re holding is either 2 or 3 conductor stranded wire. You should definitely trace that wire and ensure that it isn’t energized to prevent a short that could cause a fire. The still missing vhf cable should be round with a solid wire in the center, a plastic insulation around the center wire with stranded wire around the insulation, and an outer covering. Looks like a TV cable wire. Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but you need to keep looking….Good luck!

• Wow
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We had a wire like that recently on another post, that was the depth sounder wire for a I40 raymarine display....You will need to trace the wire to see what it is connected to so you know it is.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I spliced them together and it worked! I definitely need to redo it, because they aren't very secure, but the VHF works! :)
Possible that the receiver is working at a diminished level; however, is the transmitter working?

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
Eek, I don't know. Hard to gauge when I've not had a VHF radio before. Weather channels come in and I monitored 16 today, heard a few calls. Used my new hand held to test if mounted VHF worked, didn't hear much on either, but did hear a few calls on both.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Perhaps you should contact Ken Cross & talk to him directly. He is a licensed professional and can help you sort things out. He has offered help and will likely give you better advice & guidance as compared to the rest of us! By the time your rigger gets to the boat in two weeks, you will know what you have on hand and additional items to purchase ( if necessary).
Electrical & electonic components can be very difficult to troubleshoot & repair, especially if you don’t have experience. Thing about a vhf is that it is a very important piece of safety gear. If you ever have an emergency, you want it working at maximum efficiency. If it’s working properly, you should be capable of transmitting approximately 20 miles on a clear day. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress; would really like to know the outcome!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Perhaps you should contact Ken Cross & talk to him directly. He is a licensed professional and can help you sort things out.
I can't agree more! He will have the equipment, knowledge and ability to sort you out on this in no time.

One of the things I've found on this forum is a support group like nowhere else I've seen. It's truly remarkable in today's world.

Perhaps you feel like it's too much to ask, but remember that down the road when you know more about something than another, you can pay back by doing the same for that person. Just a thought.

dj