Clew attachement replacement

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Sorry if I don't know the specific name of what I want to fix, but the strap that was lashed between the clew ring and the boom track slide on my main broke this weekend. I'd like to fix it "right" but on my own. Just wondering what the best way to do it? Some random webbing, and hand sew it together then lash it?
This is not my boat, but found a pic to show you what broke:
ClewBoomAttachment.jpg

This is mine:
NoClew.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
Ideally the webbing type will match what broke, but yeah. Got an awl stitcher?
I have a hand awl and some sail thread for repairs. Whats the best way to sew it together?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Might consider a Dyneema Soft Shackle. Google it: "dyneema soft shackle". Buy premade or make your own.

Jun 2, 2014
Might consider a Dyneema Soft Shackle. Google it: "dyneema soft shackle". Buy premade or make your own.
Ahhh... that looks cool... Thanks for that one. i've been looking and so far any premade ones I've found appear to be quite large. Still looking.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That could work if the soft shackle is short enough to keep the clew close to the track.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I have a hand awl and some sail thread for repairs. Whats the best way to sew it together?
Good. If you have any others, such as are on some types of sail slugs, you'll see that the thread passes through the center of the multiple wraps of webbing.
Then alternating wraps around the sides, passing again through the center after each wrap.
Easy-peasy.

Jun 2, 2014
That could work if the soft shackle is short enough to keep the clew close to the track.
Yah, I'm not really finding much premade yet that look like it would work. Almost looks like a webbing strap with velcro would be just as good. Dunno.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is your mainsail loose footed? If it is, there can be a lot of pressure on the clew holding it down to the boom. The sail will want to rise up off the boom.

If the sail is not loose footed the foot of the sail is captured in the boom and there is less vertical pressure on the clew.

Jun 2, 2014
Good. If you have any others, such as are on some types of sail slugs, you'll see that the thread passes through the center of the multiple wraps of webbing.
Then alternating wraps around the sides, passing again through the center after each wrap.
Easy-peasy.
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. So, I don't have to do something like this first before going around?
webbingjoin.JPG

I can just wrap the webbing, then go around the middle with the thread and through the center of the webbing through a single point, right?
clewstrap.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
Is your mainsail loose footed? If it is, there can be a lot of pressure on the clew holding it down to the boom. The sail will want to rise up off the boom.

If the sail is not loose footed the foot of the sail is captured in the boom and there is less vertical pressure on the clew.
Yes, it's loose footed.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I always have a strip of webbing doubled through the clew around the boom... to back up the slider's shackle. You can also look for a metal shackle... for a quick fix... then back it up with the web lashing.
You'll find a lot of supplies at www.sailrite.com but you can find a stamped shackle like this comes in many sizes to fit your need:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This is one technique. Maybe a little overkill for your situation. But there are enough technique tips in this to make it worth the 7 minutes.
I think the website gives you 3 vid free. I'd watch this 3 times if possible.
Or you could pay your sailmaker to do it.