Clevis Pins

Aug 7, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Aurora Reservoir
Just bought a 1973 O'Day Widgeon and I already hate the clevis pins that attach the stays. I really don't like dealing with those rings (like a key ring) that hold the pins in. I will most likely be trailering the boat quite a bit, which means fighting with them constantly. Any chance there's a quicker, easier option for those?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
OR talk to the guys on the store site here .. they can fix ya up..
The holes in the fork end have to be a good fit to the pin because the little ball retainer doesn't protrude very much..

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Ring dings are the most common. Still fiddly but easier than what you pictured. Cotter pins are easy and secure, too.

Quick release pins make me nervous in this application. If it comes out your mast comes down.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
I also hate those little rings. We use hairpin cotter pins, simple and cheap. Go through the clevis in place of the ring. Many sizes available, and I just buy the zinc plated ones, being a known cheapskate.

2UJK1_AS01.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I also hate those little rings. We use hairpin cotter pins, simple and cheap. Go through the clevis in place of the ring. Many sizes available, and I just buy the zinc plated ones, being a known cheapskate.

View attachment 183506
Those are often called "hitch pins" (As in Trailer Hitch). I use them on the lower end of the pintles on my Nacra... when inserted they are horizontal and clear from any potential snagging. On deck, however, I would be reluctant to use them to secure my rig... They just stick out too much. I would be more inclined to use a "push button pin" such as the one I've pictured. There's a small hole in the collar for a thin wire security lanyard. I use this type of pin for the forestay adjuster/connector. WM sells them for $9.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Those are often called "hitch pins" (As in Trailer Hitch). I use them on the lower end of the pintles on my Nacra... when inserted they are horizontal and clear from any potential snagging. On deck, however, I would be reluctant to use them to secure my rig... They just stick out too much. I would be more inclined to use a "push button pin" such as the one I've pictured. There's a small hole in the collar for a thin wire security lanyard. I use this type of pin for the forestay adjuster/connector. WM sells them for $9.
Well, Grainger and other industrial sources call them hairpin cotter pins. Here are various hitch pins, sometimes secured with a hairpin cotter:
20200808_185527.jpg

I have used those push button pins and simply don't trust them. I have the hairpin cotters at deck level and have never snagged, kicked out or lost one.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Just bought a 1973 O'Day Widgeon and I already hate the clevis pins that attach the stays. I really don't like dealing with those rings (like a key ring) that hold the pins in. I will most likely be trailering the boat quite a bit, which means fighting with them constantly. Any chance there's a quicker, easier option for those?
You could change to a split ring with tail, sometimes also called cotter ring. Much easier to insert and remove.

Something like this

EFD12BF8-3A9B-483A-A4A4-A37E0DFCD8F2.jpeg

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I had replaced some of mine with this kind. But then I was advised by some more experienced sailors that they weren't secure enough for standing rigging, so I switched to the kind @Hunter216 showed. They're a pain in the neck with my far-sighted eyes, but they don't come out by accident.
1596935873459.png

Jul 27, 2017
O'day Widgeon Wisconsin Rapids, wI
You could abandon the pins, fit bow shackles to chain plate and shroud ends (requires some reworking of 'adjusters' on shroud ends) and tension the rigging with line (sometimes called rope.). I use paracord but dyneema would probably be better. This works well. I can now do the rigging and de-rigging in the dark or with frozen fingers, or after a couple of beers.