Cleaning Your Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Mavrovich

I remember reading somewhere about soaking anchor lines, dock lines, running rigging in water and detergent with fabric softener added. In addition to improving their appearance, the fabric softener would make the lines more flexible and easier to cleat off, etc. Has anyone done this? Does it work? How much detergent and softener did you use? Thanks.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

cleaning lines

I've used regular old laundry soap, in a rather heavy concentration, to clean some nasty line. Didn't use the softener but I sail on fresh water so ... What was really helpful was this gnarly garden tool that allows you to aerate the soil while standing (it has 3 or 4 curved "hooks" on the end). Add some water & detergent to a 5 gallon bucket & start churning it with this tool. I have no idea how much it costs but it sure was nice on the back & knees! All the line we cleaned was pretty old so if you're cleaning newer stuff, my only concern would be the effects of the detergent on the line's lifespan. I doubt it would cause any problems but I wonder if someone else has an opinion on this. LaDonna

W

Walt

Done That

Many times now I have thrown my jib sheets into the washer with some detergent and fabric softener. Cleans them up nicely and does soften them up too. The only down side is when you pull them out of the washer. It tends to wind them up into the biggest knot of lines you'll ever encounter. Good luck.

B

Bob Camarena

Bag and Tie

If your going to wash your lines in the washer, tie the two ends of each line together and put them in a mesh laundry bag for washing. This will minimize twists and tangles.

Status
Not open for further replies.