cleaning with acetone

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John O'Donald

Recently I was doing some gel coat repairs and cleaned first with acetone. I tried it on a stubborn stain and it cleaned it instantly. I've never heard of general cleaning with acetone so there must be a down side, does it harm the gel coat?

P

Pete

acetone

I'm not sure about on the gel coat but don't use acetone for general cleaning,it will break down the plasticerzs in the vinal and it will become sticky.

R

Russell Egge

Not Good for YOU!

Acetone is a known carcinogen (and highly flammable).

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Health effects of Acetone, make your own.....

as far as the health effects of acetone are concerned, you may want to make your own conclusions from the OSH in Canada. In my opinion, use sparingly in a well vented area. http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Can it be harmful!

John: I believe that a small amount of acetone applied to a rag and wiped onto an area is PROBABLY okay. I know that Jim Willis does NOT recommend its use. My understanding of using it on gel coat is that is can soften the material. Personally I only use it for something that really does not come off with much of anything else. I must assume that if you are doing gel coat repairs it should not be a problem but use it on a rag then wipe the area. The area should also be rinsed after the application. Just another note: If you use it on something like your vinyl coverings on the life lines, they can become sticky.

S

sloopercat

Not that bad for you- no carninogen

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html Not that I do not recommend the proper safety equipment. Flammability is a more acute problem. Better living through chemistry.

R

Ray Bowles

Always test a very small area first as acetone

just flat melts some plastic and vinyl compounds so be careful.

T

Terry Welch.

Try laquer thinner.

I found this out on one forum, works great on our new Mac26X. acetone to clean the lifelines, laquer thinner for scuffs on the fibreglass, will not harm the gelcoat!

R

R.W.Landau

Acetone

John, The products that are use on a boat, they are all toxic! Resins, Thinners, Cleaners, Strippers, Bottom paints, and urethanes, they are all nasty. Acetone is one of the products that is great for preping a fiberglass surface for patching. Yes it is pretty potent stuff. On uncured gelcoat it will create a tacky surface for additional coats. Long term.... We still don't know the longevity of fiberglass. Jim Willis is correct in that if there is any uncured resin in the gelcoat it will soften it. Then again there are many cleaner products out there that have been tested for a year or two and we have no answers on long term effects. My suggestion, If you have a good mask and it works for you, let us know the long term effects. By the way Interlux 202 is about the most effective solvent I have used. This stuff eats about anything. I recommend the nitrite glove that I find at my nearest Sherwin Williams store. They are about as heavy as dish washing gloves but they don't disinagrate like the West Marine nitrite one time use gloves. I use them for solvent, epoxy, general fiberglass, and paint ( urethane and bottom paint) work. They are great. If you don't own a serious mask, buy one. That way you may still be sailing in years to come. r.w.landau

R

rp

M-1 remover

Home Depot carries M-1 Remover. Read the can, it cleans everything, including fiberglass, plastics, etc. Great on stains and cleaning rub rails (does not soften plastic or rubber). Check it out. RP.

B

Bryan C.

Don't let it pool on gelcoat.

Has its uses for different things, even IMO as a cleaner of last resort, use sparingly and don't let it pool or sit, in my experience it will eat gelcoat.

J

Jim WIllis

Acetone

Acetone is a good general pupose solvent but is completely non-selective. Use it on fenders to dissolve gum and it dissolves the fender surface too. NEVER use on upholstery or clear plastic. It is good for chemicall cleaning before (say ) doing gelcoat repairs etc. I llike to Use IG pink for more selective use. MEK is more powerful than acetone but more toxic. Benzene is very carcinogenic, toluene much less so (not sure about xylene) and the latter are best for preparing hypalonfor repair but NOT for cleaning (acetone either) becuase of dissolbing off good material). Brush cleaners, dewaxkers and lacquer thinners etc pretty much all contain (in varying amounts) acetone, ethyl acetate, MEK, xylene/toluene etc). That is why they are god solvents for paints (even catalyzed and cured paints). Harch "paint removers") that damage gelcoat contain the above in vayring proportiaons, but sometimes d-limonene. THis "safe" terpene is related will dissolve polystyrene adn vinyl!. Pain removers (and some cleaners are made more potent (but more corrosive) bythe addition of caustic (KOH or sodium hydroxide 0 "caustic soda"). Acetone is actually made in the body in small amounts (large amounts in uncontrolled diabetics) and is not that toxic except that, like all volatile solvents is a "general anesthetic" can cuase light headedness. It is flammable, but does dissolve in water. The above is mish-mash from a career in doing chromatography/chem separations, painting old cars, owning a boat, and developing cleaners etc! Thanks Jim Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.