Cleaning the Shore Power Cord

Mar 28, 2014
Hunter 31 Lake Norman, NC
My shore power cord looks terrible . . gray and black splotches for the full length of it. Are there any recommendations for cleaning the cord? Thanks in advance! Chuck

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They make shorepower cord cleaner, but a less expensive solution is acetone, and even better is paint brush & roller cleaner.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
1. Soft Scrub
2. A little acetone
3. Star Bright Cord Cleaner
4. probably 100 other options.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Same as Everyone Else Has Said BUT ................

Are there any recommendations for cleaning the cord?
................ after the acetone wipe, protect it by wiping with Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Protectant. Keeps it clean a little longer and makes the next cleanup with acetone a little easier.

This won't work forever, as the acetone is slowly dissolving the cord away a little at a time.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I used Goof Off and 80 grit sandpaper. Then 409 to get the Goof Off off. A friend said I should have tried WD 40. That would never have occurred to me. My cord looks MUCH better now.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I used Goof Off and 80 grit sandpaper. Then 409 to get the Goof Off off. A friend said I should have tried WD 40. That would never have occurred to me. My cord looks MUCH better now.
deep six the 80 grit sp and get a maroon scotch brite pad you will be surprised

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
As long as we're throwing out suggestions, after a friend showed me how well Purple Power worked to clean carburetors and degrease parts, I started trying it as an acetone alternative. Anyhow, it worked wonderfully on my power cord and dock vinyl. FWIW. I would not use it on polished aluminum tho. Purchase at any auto parts store.
http://www.clean-rite.com/purplepower_industrial_strength_cleaner_degreaser.html

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I *knew* I should have asked before cleaning mine. From now on, would someone please remind me to ask before I just haul off and do something? Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Mission Impossible. They are very hard to clean and get dirty rather quickly. A while back I purchased a new cord and we use that at transient marinas while keeping the old cable at our home dock. We find that a clean and organized boat gets us better treatment everywhere we go. I would think that the easiest way to dress up the power cord would be to paint it.

Dec 29, 2010
Catalina 30 tall rig waupoos
gee Scott, an environmentally safe product? no permanent inhalant damage, no loss of moisture to any exposed skin, doesn't eat the surface of the cable for that "new" look, that cant be any good.... probably costs more too.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yes and many of the others mentioned. Our 50 amp shore power cord looked really dirty when we bought the boat and I didn't get to it until we reached Fl. I did three to five feet every evening watching the sun set. The results were about the same for every cleaner I just preferred the Starbrite for a more pleasant smell.

PS Old hands get a little cramped so have the sundowners mixed beforehand.

All U Get