Cleaning the Scupper Drain Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan Taylor

If I want to clean the Scupper Drain Lines leading from the cockpit while my '75 is in the water, can I disconnect the lines from the Tee fitting above the valve without worring about taking on water?. I tried to shut the valve, but the boat is so old, it is stuck open. Will I take on water if I disconnect the lines? If the valve is stuck open, do I need to wait until I haul it out of the water? BTW, the screens on the cockpit floor are either calked or cemente in. Is there a way to remove them, then reinstall em?

C

Chris Achtschin

water

Stan. I am new to this but I have had the same question. So far I have learned: 1) My drains were plugged right under the surface of the screen, once cleared all drained OK 2) When messing around the valve you mentioned, all I have seen has said: don't mess with the hoses while the boat is in the water! 3) The screens in my boat (1981), popped out with a screwdriver... not much effort. Catalina Direct has a scupper valve kit that drains through the transom... I have seriously thought about it. 4) your sticking valve should be proceeded with caution, twisting it too much could compromise the plumbing. I hope this helps, this web site has been so helpful to me, I hope I can help in return... Good luck!

M

Michael S.

Caution!

Do not mess with trying to remove the hoses or unsticking the valve while in the water. You run a great risk of sinking the boat where it stands. If the valve is stuck open that is certainly better than stuck shut for most purposes (water in the cockpit). Wait until on dry land to mess with changing the hoses/valve--you will have plenty of time to figure out what parts, etc. you need and won't have to try to do that while pumping the bilge or stuffing rags in the geyser you create. Try poking a short thin wire through the screen/grate. If you have any access to pressurized water (like a garden hose) simply spraying through the grate often cleans out the dirt. By the way, the transom scuppers are well worth the work and money--cheap insurance!!

J

John renfro

wet

hello stan, the water level is about 3 inches above the shut off valve. if you are fooling with plumbing, dry land is best. john

S

Scott

Rennovation

Stan, Did this last winter as I was refurbishing my "new" 1979 Cat 22. General rule - If it is below the waterline as you play, water is going to come in. Like John said, the "thru-hull" is 3" below the waterline and offers a great opportunity to test out your manual bilge pump should it come apart. If you have the original "thru-hull" valve, it is a garden/plumbing variety. Design flaw that has been improved upon. Catalina Direct offers a new marine grade thru-hull valve. Don't try to unstick the old one, just get a new one. Thing to be careful of...! The valve threads on to the actual thru-hull, a threaded piece of pipe. Now, this threaded piece of pipe is afixed to the boat by the fiberglass of the hull. Sometimes it is hard to see because of all of the fiberglass glopped around it, but there is nice hexagonal flange you can grasp this pipe with to keep it from moving as you unscrew the valve. If you do not isolate the pipe as you unscrew the valve, you risk turning the pipe and breaking it free from the fiberglass. Now you'll have to get a new thru-hull and refiberglass it into the hull, and then put the new valve on. Actually, there are stories of these things "floating" free on their own after time, so check it. I just put a good pair of channel locks on the thru-hull, and carefully applied pressure to the valve until it began to turn, and it came right off. Agree with the others about getting the transom scuppers. My boat is on a lake, and it rains a lot. If you leave your boat for any length of time, you risk plugging up the forward cockpit scuppers, and creating quite a little mess. The transom scuppers are a project of mine for this coming winter. All the new Cat 22s come with those instead of the ones up front. Lastly, I replaced my old hoses that run from the drains to the T-valve with new hose (from ACE hardware). Since then, I just shoot pressurized water down the lines to keep them clear - though I have had no real problems with lines, but mostly with the scupper screens. Best of luck. Scott

S

Stan Taylor

Thanks to all. Great Advice (nm)

Thanks to all. Great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.