Cleaning stern seats

Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Hello,
taking a quick break from cleaning my stern rail seats. I removed the slats and cleaned the plastic material (which I believe is called starboard). Unbelievable how much grime I was able to remove. I got 95% of with water and a good scrub. The next 4% a light acid wash and a other good scrub. the last 1% is driving me a little crazy. I'm talking about the little tiny bits that are ingrained and just wont budge. I don't want to paint as I believe that will only mask the grime.
I am considering a light sanding. Any advice?
20190203_114555.jpg
20190203_114622.jpg

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Wait. Put the slats back on. Looks like that’ll cover the stains. One more option is to go sailing with a Boat Babe. She’ll keep your mind on what’s important.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Paint is not going to stick well to Starboard either. Just sayin'.

Aug 22, 2018
Burning is an option and so is living with it.
Unfortunately the boat babe isn't and if it was I wouldn't be posting on here would I?
I'm gonna try a light sanding.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The teak boards cover the stained area. Just removed and oiled the teak. Look ma no stains. Now the broken cup holder????

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wait. Put the slats back on. Looks like that’ll cover the stains. One more option is to go sailing with a Boat Babe. She’ll keep your mind on what’s important.
+1. They aren't called babe seats for nuthin' !
If you are putting the slats back on what's the problem? The main thing is you got the abrasive grit out from under.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Assuming you had teak slays on the stern rail seat base, stains will occur from the slats. Once back on you generally will not see them. I saw where coatings put on the bottom of the teak slats did that. I use to take the slats off and coat the bottom of them with Cetol to prevent moisture from being absorbed from the bottom to the top of the slats to prevent the top coatings on the slats from cracking due to sunlight exposure over time. Once the slats are back on you cannot see the stains anyway. That generally was the case. Hunter advised never melting those bases

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
My boat had canvas covers that snapped over the seats. It was very tedious removing the covers and installing the cushions every time we used the boat, then reinstalling the covers before we left. And the varnish still went south on the slats. So I removed the slats and covered the seats with gray Seadek. Looks better than slats with peeling varnish that's gone bad and it's comfortable enough to sit on if you don't put the cushions out. You can sort of see the seat without a cushion in this photo. Birds leave their mark, but it rinses off. Still stuck on several years later, too.

5625.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018
Got them.finished up and installed.
I know you are not supposed to paint Starboard but I did it. I'll see if it lasts the season.

Attachments