Cleaning heat exchanger

Sep 26, 2008
catalina 21 -
I have been using 3% white vinegar every couple of years to clear some of the salt in the heat exchanger in situ in my yanmar 3ym30.
Do others do this ?
My local supermarket now sells 6%.
Wondering if that's too severe ?
Cheers.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
how do you do this insitu? I was assuming you'd have to remove it for a good soak.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
curious also as insitu means in place. I guess you could add the vinegar to the outlet of the raw water to the elbow? Having a understanding of the ph scale and concentration, I wouldn't expect the ph to have much of a effect associated to the concentration change.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
looks like you changed your original post from mixing elbow to heat exchanger.

a year ago I set up a recirculating pump with RydLyme Descaler for my entire engine since it is a raw water cooled engine without a heat exchanger and felt it did a pretty good job on the passages. I pumped the solution in both directions with the thermostat removed. I can't remember how long I did it but it was like two hours or so.

I would think you could do the same for your heat exchanger, making certain that air is out of the system and the exchanger is full of the treatment while circulating.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I will often take my heat exchangers to a radiator shop and they'll clean them like new for only a few bucks. They are also the best place to get them repaired. After all a radiator is a heat exchanger, too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: For the radiator shop. $69 taken apart, cleaned, reassembled, pressure tested, painted, and returned ready to install.

I installed a new zinc, fitted it back on my engine. Figured it’s good for another few years.

Jun 13, 2009
Catalina C320 mk 2 Australia
curious also as insitu means in place. I guess you could add the vinegar to the outlet of the raw water to the elbow? Having a understanding of the ph scale and concentration, I wouldn't expect the ph to have much of a effect associated to the concentration change.
Yeah, bilge pump in a tub of vinegar, reverse flush from the raw water discharge back to the swp outlet.
I have used the 6% a few days ago great result.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I have been using 3% white vinegar every couple of years to clear some of the salt in the heat exchanger in situ in my yanmar 3ym30.
Do others do this ?
My local supermarket now sells 6%.
Wondering if that's too severe ?
Cheers.