Claude L.-Auger's compression post mod for Hunter 34

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
The guide is very helpful and shows clearly all the steps - great write up and a great job. I personally think it is way over-engineered but if you had the time and energy this is the best way to do this job. On my Hunter 31 (simpler job because the mast is not offset to the post) I just removed the rotten wood from the top and the bottom of the compression post and replaced it with new wood. I believe the key take away is, whatever solution one come up with is to go all the way to the mast base, so that the weight goes from the mast base directly to the compression post.

Jul 10, 2011
Hunter 34 Redondo Beach, CA
Hello All,

I just picked my own 83 Hunter 34. I am in the process of doing some repairs and refits. My Hunter was used primarily for island series racing in Ca. and it was basically left floating in the slip for the last few years. Thank goodness the bottom was cleaned twice a month and zincs were replaced during that time. My question is that the area around the compression post looks good except the head side. The bow side of the top of the post is slightly cracked. The visible side of the post looks well maintained. I included pictures. Do I need to be worried and is there more investigated work I need to do the be sure? Thank you in advance. Ted

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Check the cabin top area above the compression post for sagging. Not a big job to rebuild if rotted.
Also, (and more importantly), check the mast step in the bilge. Many Hunters (including mine) suffered from rust rot of the step and water degradation of the sub-flooring above the step. Repairing that would be a big job, but doable. Check the archives for several threads on this subject.
I would do the above before digging into the compression post.