Classic 31 - Any good ? ( Sailor with good craftmanship )

Aug 21, 2014
Grampian Classic 31 Trois-Rivières
Hi guys, i'll start with a short presentation, I'm Boulard, 31yrs old from Québec and french is my first language and i'm sorry if my english typing is'nt perfect.

I'm sailing small boats for pretty much all my life and i now feel the need of going bigger with something that can be lived on for at least the weekend and maybe a weeks or 2 when on vacation but never that far from land so "refill" of goods and fuel wont be an issue. Also, i live right next to the "Fleuve St-Laurent" ( St-Lawrence river ) and i have a few marina nearby. This river can be sailed from the great lake and all the way to the "Golf du St-Laurent" and evn to the atlantic but it's not my goal.

My main interest is that i really like to work and craft my own stuff so buying an old boat and rebuilding the interior, redoing the pain, repairing the engine/electrical ( i have a 6yrs car mecanic background and an electronics ) and things like that dont afraid me and in fact, i prefer to do it myslef and by this work, also better knowing my boat.

I spotted a "31 classic". I like the model and the "old school" design. My girlfriend is not that much interested into fast boat so this also point me to good cruiser instead of fast by less confortable boats.

Is the model solid ? Even after 40yrs, is it worth the time to take it back to the water after 2 or 3 years of slow work ?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Re: Classic 31 - Any good ? ( Sailor with good craftmanship

First of all we welcome you. I'm confused by the statement "Redoing the pain." I assume there's something lost in the translation or maybe your spell check went berserk. Doesn't really matter.
I don't know what a 31 Classic is but with your skills and courage, so long as you have the basic structure checked out by a marine surveyor, I would say go for it.
The actual age of the boat is only important in that the older, the more systems are ready for replacement. That means engine, electric, plumbing, running and standing rigging, bottom, sails, etc. But if the boat is simple to begin with maybe that all is not such a big deal. If everything had to be perfect, none of us could ever leave the dock.

Aug 21, 2014
First of all we welcome you. I'm confused by the statement "Redoing the pain." I assume there's something lost in the translation or maybe your spell check went berserk. Doesn't really matter.
Thanks and loll, a T is missing, redoing the paint

I don't know what a 31 Classic is but with your skills and courage, so long as you have the basic structure checked out by a marine surveyor, I would say go for it.
The actual age of the boat is only important in that the older, the more systems are ready for replacement. That means engine, electric, plumbing, running and standing rigging, bottom, sails, etc. But if the boat is simple to begin with maybe that all is not such a big deal. If everything had to be perfect, none of us could ever leave the dock.
It's a Grampian Classic 31. I'll have the boat surveyed, mostly fpor the hull and rigs.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
Thanks and loll, a T is missing, redoing the paint

It's a Grampian Classic 31. I'll have the boat surveyed, mostly fpor the hull and rigs.

hello and welcome to the boating family

and I mean family.... in the sailboat community, we are all family in one way (we are all hooked on our sailboats)... a few things the remember... take it slow, and do only one project at a time.... never get more than you can handle at any one time, you will loose yourself and get over whelmed... as for rebuilding an older boat.... I happened across a 1967 Kittiwake 23ft full keel boat... it had water in the keel and sat for 10 years on a farmers farm next to his barn.... his wife finally got tired of it being there and listed it on graigslist, where I found it... I got it cheap.... I had to grind out 3 areas on the keel and learn to do fiberglass work.... I painted the bottom with cooper cote black abladive paint, then cleaned and painted the deck, attached all new hardware and ropes.... had to find sails for it... installed a new power control board and battery system with 30 watt solar power recharging set up... installed a car stereo and speakers for the wife to listen to music while sailing.... I built a sprit and added 19 inches to the length of my boat... I now have 2 main sails, 2 jib sails, 1 genoa, and 3 spinnakers.... I have also set up the ropes for solo sailing... I have not tackled the interior yet.... my wife has some ideas she wants to add to the interior... when it sat on the farmers property, it got water inside and the floor is soft... I plan to take out the floor and install a new one.... I have replaced all the old teak with new mohagany.... makes a big difference in the looks of it...

do not be afraid to do a little or a lot of work to a boat to make it yours.... I enjoy working on my boat... my wife even comes out to be with me while I work... sometimes she helps, sometimes she lays in the cockpit and reads or listens to music when I work.... it is our time together.... the kids do not bother us when we are out on the boat...

sincerely
Jess

sly442

Oct 24, 2013
grampian 28 Berthierville
Salut,

Hi I'll translate this tread at the end of the french answer.

J'ai un grampian 28 depuis moins de un an et j'étais néophyte en la matière. Ce que je peux te confirmer cependant c'est qu'au moment où Grampian fabriquait ces voiliers le prix du pétrole était très bas et ne sachant pas la quantité de résine nécessaire par moule ils en ont mis plus que nécessaire. La coque est très épaisse. L'inspecteur qui avait fait l'inspection sur mon voilier décrivait les voilier de Grampian comme étant des bateau très solide un tank! Par la suite peu importe a qui je parles tous ont que de. On commentaire sur ces voilier.

L'âge du bateau fait en sorte qu'il y a tout de même des travaux a faire. Il est normal que des secteurs de la fibre du pont soit humide mais ça ce répare très bien par injection d'époxie. Il y a plein de ressources sur Youtube qui te montrent comment faire.

Tu n'as pas à être inquiet par les grampian.

Brief translation, I dont have a big sailboat expertise since I own a grampian (g28) for less than a year. But I can say that Grampian are very reliable especially for the hull part wich was built with a lot of fiberglas. Back in those years the petrol price was low and they were using a lot more than need. The hull thickness made those sailboat solid has a tank. This was told me by the surveyor who did the survey on my sailboat.

There is still some work to do on some wet part ( which is normal for the age). This kind of work is relatively simple with time and patience. Youtube has a lot of good stuff to teach you how to do it.

If you have a good deal go for it Grampian are good sailboat.

Sylvain
Étilou (g28)

Oct 16, 2012
Hunter Legend 37 Halifax
Hi,
I may be late to this but I do own a classic 31 and I can tell you they are solid and very seakindly. The full keel and bow shape make the boat work well in a sea and track straight. I was very fortunate buying my boat because the previous owners had put a lot of work into it. I have maintained it, added a new radio, wiring, prop shalt and stuffing box. We have done some cruising and really love the boat. Unfortunately ( in a way) we want a little more room so we have the boat for sale.

Phil

Aug 21, 2014
Re: Classic 31 - Any good ? ( Sailor with good craftmanship

Thanks for sharing !