Class B Transponder

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
image-319732007.jpg class B transponder installed this weekend. Now when crossing shipping lanes at night near Mayport I'll be seen.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I was considering that one, so please provide some comments on your experience with it.

Many thanks! Jeff

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Jeff, very easy to install. I got a small portable gps external antenna and used that in place of the larger gps antenna that came with it. The small antenna cost $25.00 I set it in the shelf in th quarter berth just behind the Nav table. I have it hooked to a Garmin 740 GPS chart plotter. Only issue I have had is the Garmin see my boat now as a dangers target so I have to turn off the AIS alarm. Before I had radio providing AIS information to Garmin, of course that was not a transponder so Garmin did not have problem of seeing my vessel. I tried originally not hooking the xb8000 to Garmin but same problem radio picked up output from transponder and Garmin saw my vessel. The wifi feature of the xb8000 is really nice, along with iNav and an IPad then one can have a second independent chart plotter at the Nav table.

We do a lot of night sailing form St Augustine to Ponce Inlet (50nm) to the south and St Mary's River (50nm) to the north. Crossing the St. John's inlet at Mayport at midnight where there is always heavy shipping traffic will be less stressful.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I leave the Port of Los Angeles often early am, and while I trust the container ships, the love boats worry me. They love to speed both inside and outside the entrance.

Jeff