Circumnavigating Long Island in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Catalina 390 14 Perth Amboy, NJ
I am planning on circumnavigating Long Island in 2010, leaving from Mt Sinai (East of port Jeff) going counter clockwise. My plan is to take about a week for the trip overnighting in City Island, Liberty Landing Marina, and Montauk, then back to Mt Sinai. I was thinking of breaking up my Atlantic Ocean passage by stopping at the Great South Bay or shinncock bay, but I am still on the fence. Does anyone have any ideas for a good itinerary?
I am planning to leave sometime in June or July.

Nov 10, 2008
Hunter 25.5 Ossining
I think I'll join you, I'll be comming down the Hudson. Then entering the Sound, via the East River.I hear the Conn. side of the Sound , is better.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
It is about 50 nm. to Fire Island Inlet from NY Harbor, which is a pretty good days journey during daylight. A word of caution about the inlets on the GSB and even Shinnecock: when the tide is ebbing it can kick up a mini race of 10' swells on a calm day. It is best to enter or leave these inlets around slack or flood tide. There are also some low bridges on the GSB.
US Coastal Pilot book 2 is free to download here: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot.php?book=2 and has descriptions of all the inlets and harbors you may visit.
Once out at Montauk the water can be great for swimming. Lots of interesting places to anchor around the Peconics and Shelter Island.
Sounds like fun.

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Thank you all.
Mudtertel, I’ll look out for you as we cross paths.
CalebD, Thanks for the link. It has tons of good info that I'll need.
I am not planning of sailing the GSB, but just as an alternate in case of emergency or a stop off point, so it’s good to know about all the inlets on the way. My plan A is to sail the Atlantic nonstop to Montauk. I have heard stories about the GSB inlets and you stated, so timing is important.

Thanks again.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Salty,
The Coastal Pilot books are a great free resource. I am glad I found them and hope that you find them useful too.
I once sailed on a friends MacGregor 26S from Babylon, out Fire Island Inlet to NYC in one day (motor sailing mostly). As we entered the ocean on the ebb tide there were big 10'+ breaking rollers as far as the eye could see. The rest of the trip was mostly uneventful. I wish I had read the Coastal Pilot description of this inlet BEFORE we headed out on an ebb tide in light wind.

Another note: If you are put off by the prices at Liberty Landing for transient slips then you should investigate the $40/night moorings that NYC Parks operates at both 79th St. and Pier 40 (Houston St.). Their websites can be a bit blustery (requiring insurance, pre-mayment etc.) but I know of one couple who just picked up a mooring at Pier 40 and spent the night - for free.
http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/marinas/10
http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/estuary/moorings_pier40.asp

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
CalebD,
Think you read my mind. I was just looking at the Liberty Marina insane rates ($4.00/ft) and was in the process of checking out the 79st transient moorings. 79 st is beginning to look as a better option.

Thanks for the Info.

Dec 9, 2009
Bianca Aphrodite 101 Boston
We have a similar trip planned for late July.

I like the notes about moorings in NY Harbor. I had wondered if anything like that existed. A mini fantasy is to anchor off the Statue of Liberty overnight. After working in NYC for over twenty years and looking out at the harbor... I want to look at the city from the harbor.

Our plan: After the New England Solo Twin race we will sail to NYC, hang around for a while, look at the city, and then head up the East River to City Island and anchor behind Hart Island. We will have some fun visiting family in Westchester. Afterwards, off to Pt Jeff for a visit to that pretty harbor and more family. Then off to Boston. It should be a fun time. I have seen NYC from the water many times but my wife has not.

We draw too much to consider anything in the GSB.

C

cat285

79th street moorings

I like the notes about moorings in NY Harbor. I had wondered if anything like that existed. A mini fantasy is to anchor off the Statue of Liberty overnight. After working in NYC for over twenty years and looking out at the harbor... I want to look at the city from the harbor.

Before you head up the river to 79th street from the battery check the distance- it may be further north than you want to go?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Newport, Liberty Landing, 79th St & more

Salty,

Good luck on the trip. I'm hoping to do the same.

I agree that Liberty Landing is way-y-y too steep for my blood. It's main advantage is being inside a well prtoected basin, so no rocking from boat wakes. Besides price, the other drawback is its proximity to anywhere. Basically, it isn't. Leave the marina grounds and you're in Liberty State Park -- no provisioning or anything else within walking distance.

I'm at Newport Marina, about a mile north. Transient rates are only about $2.50 a foot, give or take. It has a wave wall that cuts down rocking quite a bit, but you still might roll when the high speed ferries go by on the Hudson. It is near to everything: good restaurants, stores, transportation, etc. If you do decide to stop by, look me up.

The 79th Street Basin is fine for an overnight, but marina rules require that you have an outboard-powered dink, since you're not likely to be able to row ashore against the river current.

One other thing: If the timing works out, stop by Brewer's Stirling Harbor marina in Greenport the weekend of July 16-18. That's the dates for the 8th annual O'day owners' rOnDAYvous. Let me know if you want more info (or stay tuned to this website).

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
NormanMartin

There is, or was a couple of years ago, a small anchorage right behind Lady Liberty. Nice protected area, although not very big.

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Salty,

Good luck on the trip. I'm hoping to do the same.

I agree that Liberty Landing is way-y-y too steep for my blood. It's main advantage is being inside a well prtoected basin, so no rocking from boat wakes. Besides price, the other drawback is its proximity to anywhere. Basically, it isn't. Leave the marina grounds and you're in Liberty State Park -- no provisioning or anything else within walking distance.

I'm at Newport Marina, about a mile north. Transient rates are only about $2.50 a foot, give or take. It has a wave wall that cuts down rocking quite a bit, but you still might roll when the high speed ferries go by on the Hudson. It is near to everything: good restaurants, stores, transportation, etc. If you do decide to stop by, look me up.

The 79th Street Basin is fine for an overnight, but marina rules require that you have an outboard-powered dink, since you're not likely to be able to row ashore against the river current.

One other thing: If the timing works out, stop by Brewer's Stirling Harbor marina in Greenport the weekend of July 16-18. That's the dates for the 8th annual O'day owners' rOnDAYvous. Let me know if you want more info (or stay tuned to this website).

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (O-322)
Little Silver, NJ
Capn Pete,
Thanks for the info. The Newport Marina sounds perfect for our stop over. We are looking at doing the trip sometime in June. I'll let you know so we can touch base. We'll like to attend the Oday rOnDAYvous but we'll leaving for a bareboat in BVI on th 19th so its not possible, hwoever may be able to drive out there.

Thanks
Salty
s/v Kadaria (O-322)
Mt. Sinai, NY

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Text book knowledge here only but check the timetables for the Race at the east end of Long Island and Hell Gate in the city end. The tidal currents are legendary.

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
I second Capn Petes recommendation of Newport Marina. We have stayed there numerous times. It is a great location for provisions, resturants and transportation and the view is the best. The rolling from the ferries is mainly during the morning and afternoon commute periods and is no worse than being passed by an inconsiderate motor boat.

Say hi to Iris if you stay there.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Aug 18, 2010
Tylercraft T26 Bucksport, Maine
HI Norman

Did you get to do this transit? I am planning on something similar with a twin-keel Tylercraft beginning Sept 8, and will complete the transit with picking up the mooring at Bucksport, Maine.

Our plan: After the New England Solo Twin race we will sail to NYC, hang around for a while, look at the city, and then head up the East River to City Island and anchor behind Hart Island. We will have some fun visiting family in Westchester. Afterwards, off to Pt Jeff for a visit to that pretty harbor and more family. Then off to Boston. It should be a fun time. I have seen NYC from the water many times but my wife has not.

We draw too much to consider anything in the GSB.

Aug 18, 2010
Tylercraft T26 Bucksport, Maine
Re: Newport, Liberty Landing, 79th St & more

Hello Capt. Pete.
I may be there with my Tylercraft 26 if NYC doesn't work out. It would be September 9 or 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.