Chute scoop control lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Al Carlson

Hello Don: This question may relate more to rigging than sail trim. I have been learning to use a new asymetric spinaker on a C36. I fly it off a new block set slightly higher and in front of the forestay attachment point on the masthead. There is a jib halyard which attaches to the head assembly of the jib roller-furler, this head being about 2 feet below the peak of the forestay. My question is this: I worry about the chute scoop control lines fouling on the head of the jib roller-furler after a few jibes of the genaker. I have been told to tie off these lines to a mast cleat and forget them. I feel like I need to jibe these lines to the other side of the forestay each time the boat jibes. Am I unduly concerned? Set 'em and forget 'em? Second question: when the wind pipes up to a point where the genaker needs to come down, often the chute scoop needs a lot of muscle to bring it down. Would releasing the tack of the genaker ever be appropriate to aid in bringing down the scoop, or should you always be able to bring the scoop down by just releasing all tension on the genaker sheets? And always do this headed dead down wind? Thanks for the advice. I'm a newbie with genakers. Al Carlson Orange Beach, Alabama

B

Bill O'Donovan

Not the question you asked...

...but a related problem. Beware the spin halyard popping loose as you hoist it. If the chute is flapping in the wind, the top of the forestay can grab the halyard and open it up. That leaves the chute in the drink and the halyard atop the mast, a sorry state.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Blanket the Chute

The douser shouldn't require a lot of force to bring it down. If it requires a lot of force then maybe the spinnaker hasn't been blanketed enough. Try blanketing the chute with the main until it is totally limp and the douser should be able to come down easily. Also, be careful the chute doesn't become airborne again as it can cause problems as all the lines become tensioned again with large forces. When the chute is blanketed the boat speed slows down and the apparent wind speed increases. If the chute becomes airborne then the forces are greater than before it was blanketed. Typically the crew is going to have their hands on the lines trying to bring them in or keep the spinnaker foot out of the water and the snap could be hazardous depending on what's in the way.

A

ALEXANDRA BENNETT

RIGGING

WE CAN PROVIDE YOU WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM OUR RIGGING DEPARTMENT. ABENNETT@SAILNET.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.