Christmas cruise 2023

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We towed Daydream six hours and launched yesterday late afternoon. We motored a couple miles to a convenient anchorage, tossed out the hook, and got a really great night's sleep.

Today we began sailing and gunkholing our way south along the west coast of the Everglades, checking out potential anchorages for future use. Tonight we are anchored in a small inlet, on a glassy-smooth Gulf of Mexico. There are dolphins, manatees and sea turtles breathing in the water around us, and a few birds calling in the distance. Otherwise, the world is utterly still.

We are completely alone here.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So nice. Thanks. I recall with great fondness our C22, 1981 #10496. Sailed and anchored out often, from 1983 to 87, in Northern California.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Looks like you have a Pelagic autopilot. How do you like it? I've really enjoyed mine.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When we lived in St Petersburg we made Christmas-week trips down Florida’s SW coast to Pine Island Sound, and one memorable time up the coast to Dunedin. Once, we left the Harborage at Bayboro on Christmas day, motored and sailed down the ICW to Venice for the night at Heigel Park. There were absolutely no other boats on the ICW north of Sarasota Bay that morning! I mean, just us sailing on a west/northwest breeze into Sarasota Bay. Remarkable. After the night at Higel Park we arrived Pine Island Sound the next day. Visited Useppa Island and Cabbage Key, then spent our last night before returning north in Pelican Bay at Pt Blanco. There, as you describe, in perfectly still waters throughout the night, we, all alone, heard the bottlenose all about us surfacing to breathe and milling about. One of our most memorable nights on the water.
Merry Christmas!

KG

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
We were very lucky to get here and get anchored when we did. We had planned to sail another two hours NW today. All we had was VHF weather forecasts and they really didn't sound as bad as this

IMG_8841.jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It's a little less idyllic now, but Merry Christmas to one and all!!
Thanks for the body warming pictures. Always appreciated up here in the almost, but not quite frozen north of British Columbia. Cold, soggy, foggy, rainy and cloudy. Your pictures give us hope for the coming summer, when we once again become the most beautiful place on earth, on both days it doesn't rain.

Stay safe and warm gentle winds.

Sep 30, 2013
Yesterday was much nicer. There was more sun than predicted, and we found a new "secret" spot we'd never been to before. We decided to spend 24 hours there rather than sail further.
IMG_8785.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Looks like you have a Pelagic autopilot. How do you like it? I've really enjoyed mine.
It's a Raymarine ST2000. Inferior to your Pelagic I believe, but we absolutely could not live without it.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
It's a Raymarine ST2000. Inferior to your Pelagic I believe, but we absolutely could not live without it.
Indeed it is! When I glanced at photo 758 it looked like a Pelagic actuator. But I see now clearly that it's a Raymarine unit. My bad.

Sep 30, 2013
Indeed it is! When I glanced at photo 758 it looked like a Pelagic actuator. But I see now clearly that it's a Raymarine unit. My bad.
Even the entry level Pelagic looks really super nice. Please talk me into one. Where would a guy like me mount that control box?
I actually keep two ST-2000's on board because I don't trust them not to stop working now and then. And Raymarine has been ... less than perfect to deal with in my limited experience.

pelagicautopilot.com