Choosing Between Two Transom Ladders For O'Day 23-1

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I've searched the SBO site and read a lot of posts about transom ladders. I'm now trying to decide which one of these two would be the best choice for my O'Day 23-1. I'll be reinforcing the transom (port and starboard) with large 1/4" thick sheets of aluminum bonded to the inner transom with West Epoxy and microballoons.

Option 1 is the ladder CatalinaDirect sells for the C22 and other boats. It's a traditional style that folds up against the stern rail when not in use. The only downside I can see this is that it could be tricky to bring the ladder down from water level (person overboard). It does seem like it would fit the boat very well.

catladder1.jpg

Option 2 is a ladder that folds in half and is made by White Water. I've marked a template and it should be able to just fit it (with rudder clearance) so that the its lowest section does not project beyond the transom at all. The trick with this one is that the best mounting place will put the right side mounting holes closer to a through-hull than I would like. I would imagine that this might drag in the water a little when the boat is heeling to starboard but, then again, I'm certainly not racing it. It does seem, however, that this ladder would be easier to fold down by a person who had gone overboard.

whitewater1.jpg

Do any of you have one of these types or the other? Your thoughts welcome. I just heard from a dealer for the second ladder and it seems that it is able to swing freely. If you happen to have this type of ladder, does it tend to knock against the hull (at the rubber bumpers) in heavier waves?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pick one that lets you get the ladder out of the water while sailing (no need to drag a ladder thru the water).

Choose a ladder that when positioned for boarding has 2-3 rungs beneath the water surface. You cannot step up onto a ladder while you are in the water. You need to be able to get your foot on the ladder and also grab onto the boat. You might want to try this some time. It is easier the younger you are.

Oct 20, 2014
Pick one that lets you get the ladder out of the water while sailing (no need to drag a ladder thru the water).

Choose a ladder that when positioned for boarding has 2-3 rungs beneath the water surface. You cannot step up onto a ladder while you are in the water. You need to be able to get your foot on the ladder and also grab onto the boat. You might want to try this some time. It is easier the younger you are.
Hi John,

Good to hear from you again. I think getting the ladder out of the water while sailing is a good idea and the second ladder doesn't quite do that. Both of the ladders can get two steps in the water (as I would mount them) but the Catalina one would probably get the ladder in about four inches deeper. My other boat is a Mirage 5.5, with which we've used a temporary J-hook ladder, and I have climbed in on that many times when swimming. I agree that lower is better. So far it sounds like it might be worth the money to get the Catalina ladder.

I used to teach sailing in boats including a Flying Scott and there were no ladders. Getting people back in during MOB drills was interesting. But we were all young. No one threw their back out climbing sideways into a boat.

I'll go with the Catalina ladder.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Remembering youthful MOB drills and youthful climbing aboard a boat. Those were fun days.

Your decision making sounds well founded... :biggrin:

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the feedback, John. You've been like a personal boat advisor recently. Very kind of you.

Cheers,

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The only downside I can see this is that it could be tricky to bring the ladder down from water level (person overboard). It does seem like it would fit the boat very well.

View attachment 178650
What I've done on my fold down ladder is attach a cord to a lower section rung, fold it up, an tie it to the pushpit, stanchion, or the upper bracket (handle) with a slip knot. That's one turn around the tube, then cinch a loop under the over lap with the free end hanging down low enough to be grabbed from water level. Works well, never had it fail.... but you'd notice pretty quick if you did.
You need to position the mounting so that the bottom rung drops below the water... I have seen folks attach a webbing loop to that lower rung to help them get started... experiment a little and you'll find the right length.

Oct 20, 2014
What I've done on my fold down ladder is attach a cord to a lower section rung, fold it up, an tie it to the pushpit, stanchion, or the upper bracket (handle) with a slip knot. That's one turn around the tube, then cinch a loop under the over lap with the free end hanging down low enough to be grabbed from water level. Works well, never had it fail.... but you'd notice pretty quick if you did.
You need to position the mounting so that the bottom rung drops below the water... I have seen folks attach a webbing loop to that lower rung to help them get started... experiment a little and you'll find the right length.
That's an excellent suggestion for securing the folded-up ladder, thank you. I'll do that and I imagine some others here may also appreciate the tip.

You may not have seen my comments above but my expected mounting height for the Catalina ladder should put two steps under water. I agree with making those first steps reachable without magically leaping up in the air. <G>

Now I am off to get the two upright supports for my stern rail welded. O'Day just press fit them which is not a great system so I am having them reinforced. I can drop them off while social distancing, wearing a mask, etc.

Cheers,

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
i too have been looking at the c22 ladder for my O'Day 23-2... My biggest issues is that my crew objects to it interfering with the graphics on the transom... She's ok w removing the graphics to get the ladder but I don't much see the importance of bothering with that... The boats name is also on both sides best the winches... Any advice on convincing her?

I know it's not a big deal to sand the graphics off, but the boat almost never comes out of the water for longer than it takes a yard to do the bottom... Every three years or so... (Don't really know... Only had it done once so far)

Oct 20, 2014
Hi Greg,

Do you have any ladder mounted on the boat right now? If not, the argument you might make to your crew member would be about safety. And there is a very strong argument there. If you or she or anyone else on the boat were to accidentally go overboard, the ladder would allow you to get back in the boat safely and quickly. Trying to get a portable ladder out and set during an emergency could take awhile and during that time the boat might be moving further and further away from the person in the water. As others on this forum have mentioned, you might want to ask her to try getting in the boat from the water, and watch you try to get in, and maybe have her try to lift you in by herself. A ladder that can be quickly deployed from the water could save a life and/or get a crew member back on the boat before it blows/drifts into serious trouble.

Oct 20, 2014
About the name on the stern... I have seen a lot of boats with ladders that partly overlap the boat name and it has always looked fine to me. If you decide to remove the stern lettering, and it is vinyl, you may be able to remove it with a plastic scraper while heating the area with a hair dryer. The remaining adhesive may then come off with “Goo Gone” but be careful that that solvent doesn’t end up where it should not be. You might end with an outline (whiter hull) where the letters used to be.

But I agree with you. I would just leave the name there.

Oct 20, 2014
The Catalina ladder just arrived and the quality seems to be excellent. One end of the top tube was squished down a bit (such that the mount can't slide in) but I will fix that. I think the main difference between this and similar older ladders -- used by O'Day, Catalina, etc. -- is that it has wide steps glued on with something special (so no rivets) and the bottom step is full width. So my wide feet can (though just barely) fit side by side even on the bottom step.

Question for those of you who have ladders of this type... Do you use a marine grease or the like on the outside of the mount tubes (on each side) where they go into the upper tube of the ladder itself? Or do you leave it bare metal on metal?