CHOICE 34' OR 36'

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I'm trying to decide between a C-34 and C-36. I can get a 1987 34' for about the same price as a 1983 36'. I plan on living aboard. Does the 36' really have that much more room and how does the 36' handle in comparison to the 34'?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Test sail both

You really should check both out thoroughly. It doesn't sound like you've seen the 36. See which one feels better for you. Then sail both. If you plan on singlehanding a lot, check how it's rigged. You'll know in your heart which one is right after you've checked them both out. Have fun! LaDonna

S

son of a sialor

buy it

buy the big one if its in good shape the chicks will dig it lol

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
34 or 36

Get the newer boat unless the older on eis in a lot better condition. A survey of BOTH is absolutely necessary. The 34 vintage has an aft stateroom. The older 36 I believe does not. Try spending some time down below on each to see how it feels for you. Most importantly, in addition to the basic survey, have the electrical and mechanical systems been upgrade to relfect your intended use?

C

Catalina Kids

predjudiced

If you are going to be living aboard why not looK at some 79-82 38's?They are actually less exspensive and are great sailing boats.I, My wife, and our two cats live on ours.

D

Daryl

Buy the newer one, most early 36's have blisters

'87 was the start of factory barrier coatings. I seen too many Catalina's from the mide 80's with blisters. Personally I prefer the 36 over the 34 but you choise should clearly be a boat 87 or newer if possible. Daryl

G

Gary

34 or 36

I have the 36 (1986). I went looking for a 34 when I started. The 34s were too cramped for me and seemed more like a camper style lay out.The 36s do have an aft cabin that is quite large and if your thinking of living aboard there is no doubt as to the size comparison. I am moving up to a 42 soon. I wish the 42s had the 36 layout as I am positive that it is the most functional layout ANYWHERE!!!We had a raft up over laborday and 20 people wound up on my boat.The water line rose but the boat and the layout handled it very well. Lastly, no matter what boat you get in one year you will wish it were larger!!!!!good luck, Gary

J

JEFF MOSER

34?36?

I have lived onboard a 1986 36ft catalina for a number of years by myself, with my wife, with two dogs and two cats. Our longest period of time together was just over 2 years. The 34 seemed a little cramped when we looked for a boat and the 36 had all the room we needed and more. We had the worst of all blister problems. This is a concern. But, it can be a less expensive problem thenyou think. We had the bottom shaved off about 5 mils and let it stand for 6 months until perfectly dry. Turns out the amount of moisture was actully in that first 5 mils. We then built up the hull with interlux 2000/2001 and faired it out. This was 6 years ago and not a problem since. total cost about $2000.00. However alot of work. I recommend the 36 anyway you look at it but, get a custom made mattress for the V-berth and you will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.